Buck Rogers Diorama

Phil R

Ever since Mark and I made the 20 inch Buck Rogers rocket some months ago I've been wanting to get a plexi case to display it. When I checked on line I discovered that a 24x12x13 case is pretty salty, $150.00 +. So I decided to make one. I checked and 1/8 plexi for the sides cost about $35.00. I checked on glues but Mark said the easiest way way to align the sides and put acetone in the seam with a brush to melt and bond the plexi. Sounds easy enough. I tried some small scrap pieces and the bond seemed excellent.

I then used supports, plumbed the angle and started with two sides, an end, another end and the back. It seemed to work well but I used tape to hold the sides tight and when I removed the tape I discovered that some acetone had run under some of the tape and etched the plexi. Whoops! I wet sanded the areas, buffed and polised them with Novus. I bought a piece of black foamcore for the base. This was a very steep learning curve for me. I'm ready for the next case. I could have made it easier with a smaller case to start. :blush:

post-221-1227553931.jpg

Archived