Rocket Bot Can Launch A Rocket And Bring It Back

robothut

Here is ROCKET BOT, yes another in the long line of R-1 conversions. This guy is special. Besides the Radio control action and the 16 flashing LEds this robot can launch a rocket out of his head and at your command bring it back!

here is a short video of the actions, file is about 1 meg in size.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/RocketBotVid.wmv

Here is a poor mans version of the rocket action. a animated gif file for the dial up guys. Its about 217kbs so give a few minuts .

post-7-1227306397.gif

More info and picture can be seen at my web site.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/RocketBot.html

As for the rocket it can be launched up to 25 feet! Yes I used a battery operated tape measure, and as we all know these metal tapes tend to fall over after the first 5 feet or so. Plus you better have a high ceiling if you want to launch the rocket more than 8 feet anyway.

post-7-1227306676.jpg

post-7-1227306700.jpg

post-7-1227306725.jpg

post-7-1227306751.jpg

Here is the remote control. The robot operates on 2 C cells and the remote uses 2 AA batterys. The R-1 bump and go drive had to go, I used a motor base from a old PLAY TIME TALK BOT.

post-7-1227306916.jpg

post-7-1227306944.jpg

:blush: Bump me & go ? All those robots can be so uncivilised !!! They could at least stay for a cup of tea after the bumping !!!!!!!!!!!!Madonna

May I add This remote is a piece of art by itself ?

The arms are cast resin from molds of arms from a vintage calculating robot we all know. The chest display has the 12 bright blue flashing LEDs and the head has 4 bright RED flashing LEDs.

post-7-1227307369.jpg

post-7-1227307430.jpg

Nice one, John !

I have been toying around with an old power tape measure for creating a Horikawa

Fireman Ladder-style R-1, but it still hasn't made it to the front of the build list...

Should have known I wasn't the only one with that idea ... Great Job !!! :)

John....well done....gives new meaning to the word lift off.............love the ears, back of neck and arms.....oops my girlfriend thinks I am talking about here......enjoyed the viedo.....cheers nasa

post-38-1227325310.jpg

Very cool and well done Mr. Rigg. Another classic Riggbot! It took me awhile to figure out what was lifting the rocket. How high can it go? Is there any danger of the tape collapsing on itself?

I didn't think we would see anymore R-1 conversions after all of these CRMs lately.

The head started life as a HOOPS candy dispenser then add some parts from a chief and smoking robot as well as resin cast ears. I cut the top off of a plastic juice bottle to make the funnel top opening. The rocket is made from a over sized pen tip, in the beginning it had 3 fins, thats why I thought the funnel top would be a good idea. But as I managed to break of the fins in building the bot I decided they were just going to be trouble so left them off. As for the motor driven measuring tape I started playing around with the idea about 5 months ago and like Robobob I was thinking of the robot ladder (fire man) set up, but I could not find a toy with a ladder that I could use and did not feel like building a ladder that can expand and contract so decided to go my own way with a Rocket system.Andyman the motor driven tape is a 25 footer so it could go that high if you wanted but like you say all these type measureing tapes will bend over on themselves after a bout 5 to 8 feet. I only psinted the tape flat black for a bout 6 feet.

Cool Bot John!! Love the tweaks you made to the color scheme of the R1. That tape measure idea is really neat to! I could see you putting an antenna, a fake TV type camera (for those truly tree top views), or even a little satellite with blinking LEDs on there (although gluing wires to the tape might be a pain). Really neat!! :P

Archived