Weapons Upgrade For Rex Raybot

Electric Robot and Son

With all of bad guys out there I thought Rex RayBot needed some additional fire power to aid in the never ending battle to rid the world of evil. To complement the Rex Heat Ray I added a thermionic tube blaster to his arsenal. Here are some pics and I posted a clip of him in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcPU8kCq3rI

post-224-1227280890.jpg post-224-1227280851.jpg

post-224-1227280919.jpg post-224-1227280903.jpg

post-224-1227280933.jpg post-224-1227280875.jpg

post-224-1227280948.jpg

If you missed the original post........ http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=8577

Great job, Joe. Too bad you didn't have the upgrades for Halloween. You wouldn't have had to give out any candy! :P Be afraid, be very afraid. :blink:

Is the ray one of a kind? Powered from the robot? Can you make more rayguns? Questions, always questions! ;)

Thanks all!

Phil,

Yes the raygun is powered from the robot as are the sound effects. The remote control I used had the sound effect chip built in as well as a remote control light. It is presently a one of a kind, although I have more parts but I would have to modify it similar to the Botstock rayguns to be self powered.

Mark,

The business end is is a UE 576 vacuum tube (10 KV rectifier). It came out of a 10KV DC power supply I used at my first job at GTE Sylvania Government Systems to test EMP protection Surge arresters for Minuteman Missile silos. We blew quite a few of the surge arresters up and a lot of our test equipment before we were finished. That was back in th mid 70's when few people knew what EMP was. In the late 90's The power supply was on its way to the scrap heap when I liberated the 6 rectifier tubes. I gave one to a co-worker and have been saving the rest for some home project.....and here it is. I have always thought they would make great ray gun barrels. I had to dremel grind a hole in the ceramic plate in base of the tube to insert two LEDs for the light.

Bob,

It is funny you would mention the Daleks. When I was building it I kept thinking of them even though it doesn't really look like one. When I would step back and look at it the one word that came to mind was "extiminate". There was also some TV cartoon I used to watch on Saturday morning when I was a kid that had robots that were this shape. Maybe it was Johny Quest?

Joe, The funny thing is,,the F-15 ABC and D models didn't have any EMP shielding. I guess because they didn't have Nuclear capability . When I worked on the B-1,,, Everything ,even the access panels had to be EMP certified. Now the Strike Eagle is a nuclear platform,, I'm sure it must be shielded. Oh yeah REX needs a trigger finger. :P How about this for a future Ray Gun power supply ?

post-545-1227300103.jpg

Mark,

That tube is AWSOME.....I mean that ray gun ionic chamber needs to be integrated with the proper human interface to achieve its cosmic completeness.

Oh, RexRay does not need a trigger finger. He fires his weapon using the same technique Robby would have used to fire the "simple blaster" that is if Morbious didn't screw up his programming.

ER&S,,,,,,,,,Forgive me I didn't reply in your original Rex Robot post :blush: But after seeing this fantastic raygun I just cant ignore it..

In my opion one of the BEST CUSTOM RAYGUNS I've ever seen... :wub:

Joe, The funny thing is,,the F-15 ABC and D models didn't have any EMP shielding. I guess because they didn't have Nuclear capability . When I worked on the B-1,,, Everything ,even the access panels had to be EMP certified. Now the Strike Eagle is a nuclear platform,, I'm sure it must be shielded. Oh yeah REX needs a trigger finger. :P How about this for a future Ray Gun power supply ?

Ray gun? That's got robot head written all over it! ;)

Archived