Belgo-portuguese Toy Collection

geoffreypeeters

I agree, an eclectic variety of space toys and robots that look great displayed together! Show us some more closeups.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Here are some close-ups of my toys, including the famous blue astronaut. The bagatelle game is a Portuguese toy as well - comes from a company in Leiria called FAP.

post-748-1227094764.jpgpost-748-1227095670.jpg

post-748-1227096232.jpg

And here some more... I don't know the wherabouts of these astronauts... only that they came glued on this backing card and that the seller told me they were Italian... They look like the US - Plasticraft ones though... only that they have helmets and seem to be made of a softer-type of plastic (I think)

post-748-1227098512.jpg

post-748-1227098909.jpg150208_058.jpg

150208_003.jpg

And here my Hong-Kong X-ships... Don't know how many there were in the serie. I have the X-30, X-40 and X-50. On the right the Wannatoys space cars - which I love in terms of design.

post-748-1227099756.jpg

150208_052.jpg

Here some more... I really do like the fact that, (even though "purists" will try to prove the contrary), you CAN perfectly mix vintage battery robots from the 50ies and 60ies with more contemporary robots from the 70ies... It is also nice to see how the same industry (Japan in this case) was able to go from a "Western" - type of robot (based on Robbie and friends...) to a more "Asiatic" type - with the "Shogun Warriors" - lineup and the re-conversion of big toymakers like POPY, BULLMARK, TAKARA, TAKATOKU and BANDAI - not only in starting working with other types of materials (diecast vs. tin and vinyl vs celluloid) but also starting to including some 100% Asiatic characteristics into their robots. (colors / weapons / masks)

The robots lost their naívity - yes - but they were much more human... with their strengths and weaknesses... the ability to love (Robocon) and die (Mazinger)... To protect humankind even if this meant to be destroyed... Of course lots of toys at the turn of the 70ies started to be linked to manga and cartoons - but this is exactly what happened in the 30ies with the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon toys... History repeating itself.

post-748-1227105299.jpgpost-748-1227105511.jpgpost-748-1227105919.jpg

Outstanding collection & GREAT DISPLAY GEOFFREY! Lets have a WW Botstock at Lisboa and the fleamarket... :)

I'd love that Dirk ! B)

• 3 months later...

Some new aquisitions... I just love these rayguns from Ideal - Germany... They epitomize every inch of design that the toy industry has to offer.

post-748-1236859021.jpg

150208_011.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice additions! I agree -- those Ideal water guns are fantastic. And I love the Space Outlaw gun -- I still don't actually have one. Consider me jealous! 🙂

Archived