First Attempt At A Ray Gun

JimK

Hello All.

I just completed my first attempt at a home made ray gun over the weekend and thought that I would gather some feed back. Some of you may recognize this gun from the 1996 version of Mars Attacks. I thought that it would be a good first project. Unfortunately it does not light up or make noise. I have not mastered those parts of ray gun making yet. But all in all I think that it is a good representation.

JimK

post-769-1224515605.jpg

post-769-1224515635.jpg

Great job, Jim. It's true that your gun is slightly longer. But it's not important to copy it exactly. Not everybody is a short arm mutant like the martian! :lol: It's been a while but I don't remember the gun in the movie. ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I see now what you are talking about. I tried to measure everything from the size of the ball and keep it as close as I could. But I will admit that I suffer from what I have come to call a measuring disability. Having gone to school in the 60's it is a small wonder. Anyway, I am not sure what the next project will be but I will pay more attention to size and proportion. Thanks again

JimK

Great job! I think it came out wonderfully. Congratulations. Looking forward to more creations... How about some originals? :)

I also wouldn't mind hearing a bit about how you made it. Materials, techniques, etc. I find that stuff fascinating...

Hey Doc,

There in nothing fancy in the materials or the method. Both are fairly low tech. I didn't think of taking picture of the construction for some reason. But it all started with a toilet tank float (the big ball under the bottle). I got one of those and measured it. Then measured the ball in the picture and used that for a base measurement. I made the rear stock out of wood, the barrel is 3/8 tubing the round red disks are also shaped out of wood as are both grips. The bottle is a squirt gun bottle, the silver tube is just aluminum rod. The pieces between the two red disks are just wire cover of different sizes. And the flash suppresser on the front is a lawn sprinkler head that I took apart. That is about it. Like I said very low tech. I will try to take time out to take pictures on the next construction.

JimK

Archived