New Pickups: Atom Buster and Dalek

dratomic

I had a pretty good month on eBay lately, snagging two great additions to my collection.

The first is an Atom Buster Mystery Gun, made by Webb Electric Co. in the 1950s. It fires a blast of air at a tissue paper target (printed with a picture of a mushroom cloud). It came in three colors -- red, yellow, and green. Yellow's the most common, with red and green being significantly rarer. I've already got a yellow one, though mine has a broken fin, and is missing the box insert and target. It's nice to finally have the chance to trade up.

post-124-1224359151.jpg

post-124-1224359161.jpg

post-124-1224359201.jpg

The second is a small friction Dalek, made in the U.K. by Marx in the 1960s. It's a pretty simple, straight-forward toy -- just give it a rev and watch it roll. Its design is similar to the larger, bump-and-go Dalek that Marx released a couple years earlier; there's also a larger friction Dalek that I've yet to get my hands on. The small one came in (I believe) only two variations: silver and black. (Noel, or anyone else -- if you know of others, please give me a shout.)

My shelf of vintage Daleks is feeling a bit crowded. Pictured are (back row) two talking Daleks made by Palitoy in the 1970s, (front, l-r)) a large, first generation Marx bump-and-go Dalek, the two small Marx friction Daleks, and the wind up tin Dalek by Codeg from the early Sixties.

post-124-1224359271.jpg

There are still technically seven more (vintage) Daleks to go... The quest continues!

dalek.jpg

Dratomic.

Very nice pieces. I was watching the Atom Buster auction with interest. I was not one of the bidders but I thought the gun was so cool I just had to see what it went for. I love the fact that someone from this board won it.

JimK

Doc,,,,,,,,,Great pickups,,,I love the Dalek collection,,,,,,,,,I'm ashamed to admit as a Brit that I'm a non starter with the vintage Daleks,,something I will have to rectify soon..

Nice Doc! I have never seen that gun. Really a fabulous find with a beautiful box and that tissue paper. I only have a couple of Daleks, and someday hope to add to them.

Hi Doc, I've been away and so catching up on the posts, wel done on the gun...that Dalek is on my want list as I love the smaller scale, as regards other variations I think you've just about covered it (apart from the Cherilea, Rolykins, Nursery Daleks etc) anyway, here's the box for this one :)

Noel

post-648-1224485280.jpg

lCongratulations, Brian! I was contemplating bidding on the Atom gun. I'm glad you got it without running up the price. One of my favorite plastics. :D

• Brian.. changed the title to New Pickups: Atom Buster and Dalek

Archived