Is This Anything?

Joe K.

Actually, Klaus, it helps quite a bit. Thanks!

It looks, to me, like it says:

Pull the trigger - a flash

of light! A real dandy little flash-

light in a shape boys love. Bat-

tery ........ .......... everywhere.

...... in. long. ........... finish.

and I can't make out the rest.

So...what say you, Alphadrome Ray Gun Collectors?

Is it, or isn't it, a ray gun?

Tough call. It's got that conical tip, which is sort of spacey looking. But the manufacturer doesn't explicitly say "ray gun" -- seems to be a flashlight that's playing off a general gun-like shape. Perhaps the conical tip is only there because the flashlight part requires it (and isn't an actual design decision -- function dictating form, so to speak).

How important is intent? If it looks like a ray gun and acts like a ray gun, but the manufacturer doesn't think it's a ray gun... is it a ray gun?

I'm leaning towards no. But I'm a little biased -- I love the idea that the world's first ray gun was the Buck Rogers XZ-31. But if the facts hold up, then THIS is the FIRST RAY GUN by two full years. Pretty wild.

I wish I could see one in person -- it might be easy to tell what's going on. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Joe!

I say no... :mellow:

Looks more like a flashlight with a simple gun handle! (a lens type tip doesn't do it for me)

Many flashlights look kind of "spacy" but that doesn't make them space-related...

Now, if it had rockets printed or embossed on the handle... that's a different story!

I have to agree that unless it's marketed as a space ray gun it doesn't count as one. I'm sure there were some kids who played with it as a ray gun though.

I have to agree that unless it's marketed as a space ray gun it doesn't count as one. I'm sure there were some kids who played with it as a ray gun though.

Yes, Fin, and lots of kids used old metal trash can lids as shields (myself included!) B) but that don't make 'em shields! :)

(well... if a bottle rocket was heading your way, and you had one, I guess you could argue they ARE really shields LOL)

But then, I don't think you'd ever see them listed on eBay as shields, would you? Hmm... :glare:

Forget I said anything, bad example :wacko:

Archived