Buck Rogers Atomic Disintegrator

plan3b

I’d mentioned it before and now I am finally getting around to posting a pic of the way I mounted my Buck Rogers Atomic Disintegrator. Part of the reason I mounted the gun this way is because my 11-year-old kept taking it off the wall and playing with it (the nerve of that kid – playing with a toy!)!

I purchased an inexpensive shadow box – wooden frame, glass, black clothe background - from Michael’s craft store (had a coupon) and mounted the Disintegrator along with a vintage Buck Rogers "Solar Scouts" Brass Pin from 1936 (I guess it was a Cream of Wheat mail-in premium). Then, I had 2 small brass plaques made at a trophy store with their descriptions on them and mounted those in the shadow box just below each item. The picture is not great, but the plaques have black lettering, notched-out corners, and little brass screws holding them in place.

post-351-1222100715.jpg

At issue was this – the other side of this ray-gun is MINT! Barely any wear and the copper finish just shines! However, the side I chose to display is the one with all of the markings on it that are stamped into the body of the gun. Naturally, this is also the side that is not mint –with wear and what-not. Nonetheless, I went with this side because of the markings. What do you guys think? Should I switch it around and display the mint side?

At any rate, I was struck by how much my display looked like the new one being offered by Go Hero and their reproduced Buck Rogers gun…..

Good display work. Tough call on the mint/non mint side of the gun. I think I would display the mint side. Most people would have to look closely to see the gun engraving. The plaques take care of the information. ;)

Nice display.

I'd go with the way you've got it, with the non-mint side. The details of the engraving are really cool, and are an important part of the gun. Besides, it's not like the non-mint side looks particularly bad... It's an old gun, a little wear is completely forgivable.

I would agree with doc. I mounted mine with the engraving side out. I think that is more important than the slight wear on that side of the gun.

Archived