Skybot! Robot Eye In The Sky

laserman

Well, I've been working on three Chief Robotman conversions for over a month now, and the first of three is done. Introducing Skybot. A kinda retro wannabe TV robot hero that was inspired by the Rocketeer and the Moller flying car.

His blue color is actually lighter than the repro chief bot's blue (Krylon Peekaboo blue). The head is made from one of those now familiar toy domes. The engines are actually 40 centimeter ducted fan engines in nacelles made from PVC plumbing couplers. The wings were carved from balsa with brass structure supports and then I vacuum formed .030" styrene over them. The retro TV camera is nothing more than painted plastic tubes with polished acrylic rods glued inside. The electrical is a 3 volt (2 AA batteries) system for the basic robot with a 6 volt system (using AAA batteries) for the fans. Also attached is an attempt at box art for this guy. Next up, Mister Brianiac Saturn. :D

Oh, I almost forgot. No he does not really fly--too heavy. But I bet a really slimmed down version without all the weight, and a bit larger engines-at full power, might make this flying bot a reality.

post-226-1221929769.jpg

post-226-1221929783.jpg

post-226-1221929795.jpg

post-226-1221929804.jpg

post-226-1221929816.jpg

post-226-1221929825.jpg

post-226-1221929845.jpg

post-226-1221929855.jpg

post-226-1221929871.jpg

post-226-1221929888.jpg

post-226-1221942480.jpg

post-226-1222002106.jpg

I think blech said it for me. I'm speechless also! I can't imagine how you came up with this idea. No only is it terrific and highly innovative but your explanation really improves the image. Great job! :blink:

Great great robot!! I love the head and the color scheme is perfect. He kind of reminds me of an old forties advertising figure in a way. I remember buying the Rocketeer comics when they first came out, they were a favorite of mine back then. . Great stuff Laserman!!!

Right up My alley, but not something I could have designed !!! Too good !! Great job!! Although the stab pivots are going to develop stress cracks !! :D ;)

Thanks all. This bot was a lot of fun. Mark. I hear ya about the stress cracks :P I used quite a bit of brass strip and rods embedded within the balsa to provide extra strength. But I'm sure in Hi G turns while in pursuit of some bad guy, those wings would take a lot of stress.

As requested I put up a short video on youtube. I apologize for the lighting as I made this at night.

link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZfAwjufHU

Thanks all. This bot was a lot of fun. Mark. I hear ya about the stress cracks :P I used quite a bit of brass strip and rods embedded within the balsa to provide extra strength. But I'm sure in Hi G turns while in pursuit of some bad guy, those wings would take a lot of stress.

As requested I put up a short video on youtube. I apologize for the lighting as I made this at night.

link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZfAwjufHU

Thanks for the video, LM. So did you disable his roaming function? I suppose that is to avoid damage to the wings?

Hi Andy,

I just have him setting on a roll of masking tape, so he does not roam around. I can't take a picture and watch that he does not "fly" off the counter at the same time. One of those dual tasking issues :)

Laserman,,,,,,,,,,,,Love that Head,,,,,,Brilliant concept and construction,,one of the best Custom robots ever!!,,,,,,,,,,,,Cant wait to see if the others top him :)

Archived