Remcokmm's Zeroids!

RemcoKMM

My Zeroid collection. Loved these guys as a kid. They were on their way out and about to become the Star Team when I discovered them as a kid in 1976 but I was lucky enough to get a few of the original Zeroids before they changed to the dreadful Star Wars knock offs...

Zintar and Zobor have been with me from the 70's but have undergone restorations due to the heavy damage they recieved in space battle in my parent's backyard on Long Island...

Although I didn't have him as a kid, my fav is Zogg. I love the fact that he lights up and the primitive fiber optics that allow his eye lights to glow is way cool!

post-676-1221317081.jpgZeroids.jpgZogg.jpg

post-676-1221317132.jpg

Nice collection of Zeroids! I had Zobor as a kid and just last year reacquired him. I need to get off my but and get the rest of them.

Worth doing! I'm having alot of fun... I didn't know about all of the playsets that were available for them when I was a kid (lucky for my Mom!)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great collection.

I wanted the first three Zeroids back in '68 or so after watching the tv advert time and time again. Didn't get them and had to wait for years. Came across them in British Home Stores during the late seventies. It was an unlikely department store to find them in and being at school... I couldn't afford them all!

I could only buy one and after alot of deliberation decided that although Zintar was slightly more appealing I'd go for Zobor because I was fascinated with domestic robots (the Quasar industries one was about to be launched!. Yes at fourteen I fell for it.) and so I thought Zintar fitted the bill.

I intended to get the other two during the following weeks but alas they all dissappeared. I continued looking for the next five years or so.

Happily I found the remaining pair on ebay during the late nineties.

I started to build a large scale Zemo during 2002-3. All I have left is the base. But I'm just about to build the fiberglass molds for Zintar having scaled up the toy. I've had a dose of enthusiasm courtesy of the impending release by Captain Action/Moonstone Books. I think it will make a good stablemate to my large Planet Robots etc. I just wish I hadn't scrapped so much of Zemo.

Cheers, Andy.

post-677-1233794872.jpg

post-677-1233794917.jpg

post-677-1233794950.jpg

I've looked at loads of pic's of Zeroids and often noticed what looked like metallic paint on Zintar.

Your first photo really shows up well. Could you confirm that parts are painted in metallic and not just the usual plastic finish?

Cheers, Andy.

(hope you don't mind my asking).

Hi

Yes some Zintars are metalic and some are just grey plastic. Mine has a mix of both, I assume from someone mixing a good top from one and a good bottom from another to make o ne good Zintar.

The top of my Zintar is def metalic paint while the bottom is just a lighter grey plastic.

Thanks for that confirmation, very helpful. I've got the Zeroid, MMM, etc. book 'Space Toys of the '60's which I do like, but the pics aren't clear enough to con firm that.

Thanks, Andy.

Did you manage to chat to the owner of the company?

My friend is exhibiting the 'Space Vixens' and managed a chat. Bear in mind he was most excited about the Zeroid relaunch which I'd told him about day's before he flew out. He was going to buy whatever was available, one lot for him and one for me.. I was excited also!!

It seems though that there was no tooling or absolute commitment at the time of chatting. Are there any developments that you know of?

Cheers, Andy.

• 1 month later...

Archived