First Attempt

JimK

Hello All,

My name is JimK and I am a new member here. I made an introduction in the Robot Talk section earlier. I must say that I was very motivated and more than impressed by the contents of this customized area. So much so that I made an attempt at a flying saucer out of junk I had sitting around. As you can see I have a little trouble with proportion and scale but it was fun. It is made out of a couple of AOL CDs that come in the mail all the time (see they do have a use), a plastic bubble some kid left at the toy machine at Wal Mart, the lid from a Laurys seasoning salt bottle, some wood, a little silver paint and it even has a flashing Halloween pumpkin pendant for a lighting effect. It is simple I know but I am already gathering parts for the next one. I am really glad that I found this site.

JimK

post-769-1221143541.jpg

Thanks Ron,

It is a start. To answer you question it stands right at 6" to the top of the bubble. And is about 4 1/2" in diameter. I took a couple more pictures as you requested. See if these give you a better view.

JimK

post-769-1221154838.jpg

post-769-1221154890.jpg

post-769-1221154861.jpg

post-769-1221154876.jpg

JK,,,,,,,,,Great Saucer have you seen Andymans saucerbots ?...BTW You would have loved our Dollar store competition,,,,Here is my first [and only ]attemp at a saucer using a few bits from a Dollar store[Pound store in my case]plus the robot and raygun also from Dollar store bits.post-540-1221155545.jpg

Sparkrobot,

I read most of the posts on the Dollar store challenge and loved it. There are a lot of very creative folks here for sure. I liked the pieces that you have posted, but I especially like the ray gun. Does it light up or make sound? The stands are a nice touch also.

JimK

I love the design, Jim.

The only thing I would suggest is to clean up them holes in the landing struts. A good sanding on them and a repaint and you wouldn't know they were made of wood. Just a suggestion, mind you. ;)

Thanks Andyman. You where one of the inspirations for this craft. I know what you mean about the holes in the struts. Those digital cameras don't let you get away with anything do they. I plan on cleaning them up tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

JimK

Sparkrobot,

I read most of the posts on the Dollar store challenge and loved it. There are a lot of very creative folks here for sure. I liked the pieces that you have posted, but I especially like the ray gun. Does it light up or make sound? The stands are a nice touch also.

JimK

JK,,,,,,,The Raygun did light up,,alas none of these pieces were made to last and they are currently sitting in the loft waiting to be recycled :( I dont think the glue I was using was up to the job :blush: It was great fun at the time but I just havn't been able to find the time to carry on with my constructive streak,,unlike Mark [Eagle] and Phil who go from strength to strength..Here's a pic of it lit up.

post-540-1221168669.jpg

post-540-1221168798.jpg

Welcome Jim !! You have caught the bug haven't you ?? ;) There is no turning back now. Soon your entire property will be transformed to a salvage yard. People drop off everything.......................... I thought you could use this old freezer !! Sure ,put it out back. :D

Archived