1971 - Walking Glumps Mechanical Man By Remco

Joe K.

Here's one I'd never seen before. Came across it at Shupps Grove last week. post-16-1220129863.jpg

The inflatable body attaches to the battery powered base whose wheels are off-set on the axle, causing the base to "waddle" as it rolls.

post-16-1220129878.jpg

Remco apparently made three different body styles: a duck, the mechanical man pictured here, and a martian.

post-16-1220129891.jpg

Both the box and the b/o base are dated "1971".

post-16-1220129904.jpg

I don't believe this particular example was ever played with, as the original inserts, instructions, leak repair patches and inflatable body were all present and intact. The body was still neatly folded in it's original plastic bag. Sometimes, with age, the vinyl begins to stick together on itself, causing the imprinted body designs to peel away when the body is unpacked and inflated. Such was not the case here.

I remember seeing John Rigg's display of these inflatable type toys at the Robot Hut during BotStock II. His use of a fish tank air compressor and hose connected in series to the pieces he had "pumped up" was truly a stroke of genius. They were constantly being "topped off" with air and never looked "saggy".

As always, John, your ingenuity and attention to detail amazes me!

Joe,

I wonder if this is the first of the inflatable robots? I have a couple of different ones but I have never seen the REMCO one. Great pickup!

I can't remember seeing one of these before either. I find the date and country interesting, I don't usually associate Taiwan with toys that early.

Archived