"roll-up, Roll-up" Come See The Unusual Ray-gun!

The Toyman

Hi everyone, I got this weird Space gun today,

I love the colour and the design but what's the story behind it?

The only markings besides "Barnum & Bailey" are the words made In Hong Kong, can anybody shed some light on the history, was it a give-away? was it used to shoot the creepy clowns or the animals with? It's very nicely molded with good detail and a quality sparking mechanism which has now received a new flint and sparks like new again.

I would have expected a circus toy to shoot bubbles or water but this one is pure outer space...

Noel.

post-648-1219102041.jpg

post-648-1219102055.jpg

Hi, Noel. These turn up fairly often on eBay, though I've never had this good a look at them before. I believe they were just toys you could purchase at the circus -- noise makers and sparks, always a good combo when you're a kid in the crowd. Not sure exactly when they were produced, though I'd guess sometime around the Sixties or Seventies if they were made in Hong Kong. Like I said, though -- that's just a guess.

I'm not sure who actually made them -- for all we know, the circus could have contracted out to the factory directly.

I'm sure there are circus fans out there -- on boards and forums -- who might be able to tell you more.

Nice pick up.

They came in at least three colors. I have blue and red ones. The red one has a label running along half the bottom of the trigger guard.

THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN OVER 3. A lot of times the "cannon" part of the gun has a missing fuse. ;)

I've seen a good number of these guns but don't remember seeing that "fuse" piece before. This is the example to own I'd say! Nice pick up Toyman.

Now that you mention it Phil, I never ever recognized the fact that the gun is a Cannon either!

You know, I forgot to mention that I've never seen the fuse before, either! Definitely a good pick up in that case.

And Fin, I'm with you -- I never thought "cannon" either. Duh. ;)

Thanks guys, a cannon with a fuse, I thought it was an antenna :blush: I didn't spot that at all but it's obvious now I look at it again...duh!

Noel.

post-648-1219127676.gif

I think this was a pistol made to look like the cannon that shoots the guy into the net at the circus. I have a different but also common raygun from the B&B circus. I will post a pic later.

Archived