Printapart.com

Tinman

I attended the IPMS Nationals this weekend in VA Beach, VA and found a vendor called Print-a-Part that could produce some wonderful parts for you robot customizers. Top-notch stuff!!! The obstacle to getting the parts made is the need to provide a 3D drawing of the object via some kind of Autocad software, which most people don't have. Scale is not a problem and the blue material used in making the parts would look great backlit by an LED. They had several examples on display and the engine block, as seen on their website, was amazing! Check it out.

http://www.printapart.com/

post-329-1218383874.jpg

I'd really like to see this utilized to get some carts for the Busy Cart robot out on the market.

To my knowledge, no one has repro'd them yet, so I imagine there must be some pent-up demand for them.

I need one also.

I offered to make molds and cast these almost three years ago, providing someone would loan me a master. Never got anyone to signup.

Bob, do you still casting of parts? Do you have the silicon rubber for molds? and how about resin? I'm interested...just let me know, O.K.?

MMM

Bob, do you still casting of parts? Do you have the silicon rubber for molds? and how about resin? I'm interested...just let me know, O.K.?

MMM

MMM, If I understand your questions correctly, yes I can resin cast parts. Look at the laser rifles I made in the ray gun section. Heck, I even have a vacuum former to make parts. For resin casting, I use two part silicon rubber for making the molds. What I had access to before that I do not have now is a vacuum degasser chamber. In doing a two part mold of the cart with thin walls, I need the vaccum degasser chamber to remove air bubbles from the mold while casting. I've been looking for a good deal on one big enough for such projects.

Here's what I'm asking Bob, if I could send you a Johnny 5 Model Kit with all the parts could you make copies of those resin parts?

And then again after you have the kit you would know how much material it would cost to make the molds and to make each resin part in quantity and would let me know? But here's the thing I don't seem to have enough money at this time to pay to get those parts manufactured even by you because I know it cost you money to get the raw materials to make casts in the first place and then the cost of getting the resin to make those parts, what I'm saying is it would be more like a partnership deal, you would keep at least half the kits made to sell to get back the cost of the materials and I would get the other half of the kits to make for those that want one fully built Johnny 5.

I just need a castor who will make the parts for me and not worry about costs up front....if you understand my meaning? Either way let me know Please.

Thanks

MMM

P.S. you can PM me and I will give you my Phone Number and we could talk...is that alright?

Laserman yes I can resin cast parts. Look at the laser rifles I made in the ray gun section. Heck, I even have a vacuum former to make parts. For resin casting, I use two part silicon rubber for making the molds. What I had access to before that I do not have now is a vacuum degasser chamber. In doing a two part mold of the cart with thin walls, I need the vaccum degasser chamber to remove air bubbles from the mold while casting. I've been looking for a good deal on one big enough for such projects.

I used to use vacume as well for all my 2 part liquid silicon rubber molds and for the resin as well but when my vacume pump wore out I like most guys changed over to useing a presure pot, it works better, faster and everyone has a air pump . Seems like this topic has been covered in depth on some old threads about casting parts, but good luck finding them.

If some one does decide to make a good copy of the busy cart and the price is fair I would buy one also.

Archived