Garagebot Wiring Diagrams

Tinman

I was wondering if someone could post some examples of garagebot wiring diagrams to give us beginners an idea of what it takes to wire up a simple project with flashing lights/LEDs, etc. An education on some basic circuits and techniques would be invaluable. A long time ago I started this garagebot and with all of the recent work by John and robobob I've been motivated to continue the project. Last night I picked up a Robot 2000 I plan on cannibalizing for the walking function, if I can make it work.

post-329-1218069987.jpg

A great question.

There are a lot of approaches to adding blinkenlights to a robot project. The three I'd recommend would be:

1) Steal one. Nothing in the world is easier, or less expensive, than borrowing a flashing light mechanism from an existing toy/dollar store find and giving it a brain transplant.

2) A venerable 555 Timer Circuit. This is probably the most popular blinking circuit component out there. There are some reasonable looking circuits online here:

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/555_throbber.html (although his mockup uses strip-board construction which is more popular in europe than the us)

http://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.co...ightsckt1.shtml

and there's a more thorough walk through of the 555 particulars here:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2072/proj2.htm

3) Use a microcontroller. This is my approach of choice, being a programmer by trade. It lets you trigger a variety of lights, effects, and ultimately motor control with timers, sensors, you name it.

It's surprisingly easy to get started, especially if you've ever written even a simple program in BASIC, etc. before.

A great beginner's kit and instruction book is the "What's a Microcontroller" kit from Radio Shack. It's targeted at high school students, very easy to get started with, and will have you blinking leds on your breadboard within the half hour.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

I'm a microcontroller guy myself, so I usually use approach 3. Which is really complete overkill for a blinking project, sort of like using a flamethrower to heat up a cup of coffee. But it's the easiest, at least my mind, and gives you the greatest degree of control with the least amount of fuss. Though folks with a serious background in electronics engineering might argue otherwise.

I hope this helps!

-Mr. Future

I was wondering if someone could post some examples of garagebot wiring diagrams to give us beginners an idea of what it takes to wire up a simple project with flashing lights/LEDs, etc. An education on some basic circuits and techniques would be invaluable. A long time ago I started this garagebot and with all of the recent work by John and robobob I've been motivated to continue the project. Last night I picked up a Robot 2000 I plan on cannibalizing for the walking function, if I can make it work.

I can't help you on the wiring but I do want to mention

that the robot looks beautiful so far ;)

So keep @ it !

Simple LED circuits can be used by any one even if you have never picked up a soldering gun/pencile in your life.

Take a standard RED LED for example. You will need to use a current limit resister if runing th LED on 3 volts or more. The value is not realy critical use a 100 OHMs to 220 ohms and you will be fine. The long leg of the LED is positive or if the legs have been trimed then look for a flat spot on the side of the base of the LED this will be negative. Now other colors of LEDs do not have the same votage drop , for example a white LED or BLUE LED will some times work on 3 volts but normaly you will need at leat 4.5 volts with a current limit resistor. As you know you can get 4.5 volts by useing 3 batterys.

Now here is a flashing LED system that is even simpler. Just buy FLASHING LEDs, they have the lectronic flashing circuits built in and if you are runing then on 3 volts or up to 4.5 volts you do not need a resisitor. Just connect the long lead to the positive supply or again the lead that has a flat spot neat the LED base is the negative. You can connect as many of these LEDs as you like up to the same 3 volt or 4.5 volt supply, no resisitors required. Check out my Mr. Orbit robot project I have 5 rows of 9 LEDs some red some blue all wired to run on 3 volts. Now sometimes the battery motor that may be runing on the same 3 volts will throw some hash on the power supply lines so just put a large value CAP on the LEDs supply wires to clean this up if you leds do not operate correctly when the motor is runing.

Great info John, didn't know they made flashing LEDs. Would probably be a easier than trying to construct a mechanically operated flasher box to drive a regular light bulb, although a flashing LED would be more random. By your instructions, I'm guessing all of the LEDs are wired parallel to the voltage source vice being wired in series?

Archived