Familiar Yet Not - Forbidden Planet Space Ship

roboz

At first glance this appears similar to the recent model kit

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how common this is ?

Vintage 1950's toy made by Smith & Childs.

post-18-1216990266.jpg

post-18-1216990293.jpg

post-18-1216990324.jpg

It's actually the Holy Grail of Forbidden Planet collectibles in the sense that it was the only official licensed collectible and/or toy ever produced in relation to Forbidden Planet. Not only does it carry the MGM logo on the box, it even lists the film's cast credits! It's the box that holds the value as it's a beautiful illustration. The toy itself was a flying saucer type of balancing toy that was already in production and re-boxed to give it new life with the C-57D branding.

I don't know about you, Ozzie, but if was the poor kid who got this baby for Christmas I would have been heartbroken once I opened the box! Can you imagine thinking you're about the have a scale model of this fantastic futuristic flying saucer to play with (even more so if you had a chance to see the actual movie) and then you open the box only to find this big ackward looking doughnut thing that balances on a big pole and just goes around in a circle? I would have gone balatistic with dissapointment! :( LOL! I was one of those poor stupid kids who always hoped the toy inside would be like the photo on the box. My example now proudly sits in the Robot Hut where John has the room to have it set up properly.

Pat thanks for the info , as for your example , maybe John can add a picture if he gets a chance . Would like to see it

assembled . This example, I was eye balling on ebay. Sold for around 1600 USD . Don't know if that was a good price or not

but 100% agree the box far out weighs the toy on this one .

BTW how you liking upstate ?

Pat, believe me, you wouldn't have been disappointed with this toy. Assemble it (slowly and painfully!) and it magically transforms into a six-foot masterpiece. I have been lucky enough to set up the saucer on the dining room table and managed to get the eccentric English motor running after 50 years of total inactivity. It has the most wonderful action. As you say, it's based on a very popular helicopter toy made by the same company and the play value is enormous. You can let it it spin in a giant arc around the room, taking out crockery, eyes, cats, whatever - or delicately pick up an injured guy on a stretcher and land him on a penny. It has a variable speed motor and the angle of incline of the donut can be finely adjusted so it can be controlled with great precision. It is the closest thing to a remote control plane that you could have imagined back in the 1950s. Admittedly the illustration offers more sophistication than the toy delivers - very much like the picture of Brooklyn Bridge on a 10-piece Erector set.

I had one of these for sale at botstock. I still have it if you are interested. There is some damage to the box front but the toy is complete. I can send pics if you are interested. Send me a PM if you are.

Joe

• 6 years later...

Brian, is yours the boxed one that Terry (Sanders) had many many moons ago? I remember at the time it was expensive but having said that, I'd never seen it before and haven't seen one 'in the flesh' ever since! A fabulous item and to have the MGM logo!!

Noel

Noel, that isn't the one I have. Terry (I was at Sandown with him last week) has long since sold the example he had. Mine is a shop stock piece that has never had little stinkers playing with it. The little guy on the stretcher is still in his original pack.

Archived