Forrest J. Ackerman A Tribute Robot

robothut

Forrest J Ackerman and a Frank Coe put out a LP in the 1960s called MUSIC FOR ROBOTS. One of the tracks was called Tone tales from tomarrow. Mr Ackerman and Brad L. also put out a book called Worlds of Tomorrow the Amazzing Universe of Science Fiction Art. I used these two things to make a Tribute robot of Forrest J. Ackerman. The robot has a 2 inch round view sceen that shows 68 of the best sci fi artwork pictures from his book and I used the first 2.5 seconds of the track Tone Tailes from tomarrow as a audio sample. It sort of looks like a Robot Monster and that would be in keeping with Forrest J. Ackerman as well.

On the LP Mr. Ackerman is shown as a Tobor the Great type robot, I wanted to do something totaly different. I call this project ACKER-bot-MAN

post-7-1216334869.jpg

post-7-1216334902.jpg

I kept the walk / stop rotomatic action. There are seperate switches for the mechanical actions and the electronic functions.

post-7-1216335087.jpg

post-7-1216335112.jpg

I used the same little picture viewer that I have used on all the other recent video robots but this time I added a 3 X mag lens. This shot shows two picture viewers but the one on the right has the 3 X lens sitting on it.

post-7-1216335460.jpg

The lines in the 3 X mag picture are not there when viewing by eye that was a condition of the digital camera and the LCD screen.

post-7-1216335591.jpg

post-7-1216335629.jpg

That's a FORRY FREAK BROTHER ROBOT ! Does he smoke ???

Love it John ! Totally top !!!

If it's not called for yet, gimme a shout !

I love it! The head, in particular, works REALLY well. I'm sure 4E would be thrilled -- are you going to send it to him? :)

(As far as I know, he's still alive... I met him briefly two years ago at World Con. Nice guy.)

Wow that is a great robot. I love the idea of the sci fi artwork. I just got a couple of the digital key chains. Can they play audio with the slide show?

Well... a number of years ago, he got sick and had to sell off the Ackermansion, as well as many of the collectibles he'd amassed over the years. I'd always wanted to visit his museum, but never had the chance.

But he looked okay -- sort of -- at World Con two years ago. I wouldn't have called him sprightly or anything, but he was definitely in good spirits. They were rolling him around in a wheel chair, though, if I remember correctly. And I know he was supposed to speak at a panel, but he ended up sort of sitting it out.

Oh well. Happens to the best of us, I guess.

Awesomeness to the Nth degree! I love that head!

Does the rotating action make it hard to few the pics?

Well done, Mr. Rigg.

Archived