Ok - Getting Back To That Wyandotte...

perigee

Little brother just showed up today, and for less than ten bucks (spread over the whole haul of 5), he's a cutey - non-op, of course, but I don't intend on shooting any Martians with him, so it's cool. (That's what the phasers are for.)

But there are a couple of issues I'm pondering, and you guys are the experts.

First off, in the fiddly little areas there appears to be a sort of gunky haze looking stuff; in fact, I have no idea if the thing has been given anything like a proper cleaning since Eisenhower. What's the deal on the cleaning and maintenance on one of these buggers?

Secondly, and slightly more bothersome, there are areas of real live rust here. Nothing deforming or corrosive lookin' - nothing over-red or angry, but it has that "Old Metal" look to it that Buck didn't. Again, the question is, do you clean this stuff, try to bring some kind of silver back, or leave it in its old-world charm?

I'm guessing you don't muck with the paint job, so I won't ask.

Thanks!

- Bob

....or leave it in its old-world charm?

Hi Perigee,

The answer is quite simple - do what you like ;) If you like the old-world charm leave it like it is.

Hi Perigee,

The answer is quite simple - do what you like ;) If you like the old-world charm leave it like it is.

Hiya Blechroboter; well, I guess the underlying question is at the moment I know what I have; I'm not sure what I'll end up with if I fiddle with it. Can you point me to any examples of de-rustified steel? I'd hate to monkey with the thing and end up with a piece that looks like it's been sitting off the coast in the middle of a coral reef...

Holy Mother of Pearl, Blech - that's freaking Incredible! I'm in - the investment was low, the gun is nice, and maybe once I get her open, I can re-poppify it.

Can you mentor me through the process, or are there some reference works I can dig up? Looking at this, I don't have even the slightest idea how to open it. I've got the time, intent and drive - all I need is the knowledge.

- Bob

I don't have even the slightest idea how to open it.

Me too, Perigee :lol: I´ve never opened this gun in my life.

post-544-1216071259.jpg

I recognize a rivet which fixed the trigger. You need a drill machine to solve it and knowhow to do it.

Also you need a lathe to make a new rivet if you cannot find another one in a shop.

By the pictures I can not see how to open the remain of the gun.

Anyone out here who can help?

Hello perigee;

I have both variations of this gun.

Looking at both of them they should be easy to take apart.

Putting it back together willl be a little more tricky. It could be hard to find a replacement revet with a rounded head

After taking out the rivet that holds the trigger in there are only three fold over tabs that you will have to pry up . Just enough to seperate the two sides.

The barrel flare is held on by two tabs that slip into some spaces between the black barrel and the red barrel area .

Slide it out just enough to be able to spead the flare again just enough to slide over the wider area of the black barrel.

After getting this far it is up to you as I have not had to (or want to) open either one of my set.

Both work and give out a resounding POP.

I am tempted to do some restoring of the paint but the "Old world charm" does add some attractivness to the toy.

You can see some of the details in my included photo.

post-14-1216605287.jpg

Archived