Plastic Interactions

SarasotaRobby

Hi,

I have had made custom plexi covers for many of my robots. Others I have under glass domes or in a glass and wood (or, rather a woodlike product) case. It appears a couple of the domes on robots in the plexi cases have developed a slight haze. My two foot Robby is in a plexi case and he got to be feeling kind of sticky, so I took the top off and scrubbed him down.

Is there an interaction going on between the polycarbonate sheet used in the plexi cases, and the styrene used in some domes...some gases venting off one or another? Or perhaps the glue used in the creation of the covers? Has anyone else experienced issues with domed robots in acrylic cases? And what's up with the Masudaya robots (Robby, YM-3/B-9) domes always turning yellow?

Scott

UV light can be nasty to plastic. Do you have your case by a window by any chance?

No, all my collectibles are kept in a mainly darkened room...

Floresent tube type lighting is worse than sun light becaue its so much closer to the robots, I am sure in CA it might be different but light is the main problem with yellowing domes and white plastic. There is a great tread about interacting plastics and such some place on Alphadrome with wordss of whisdom by dear old HENK. The wood type products can be bad for everything also as they out gass some bad stuff but plexiglass and real glass sould be fine.

Archived