Atom Gun

Electric Robot and Son

post-224-1215053987.jpg

I've never seen it before. It is very nice but I never thought it would go for that kind of money. Anybody know anything about this gun?

Wow. Never seen it before. It's definitely pretty fancy looking, and the box is fantastic. Scarcity, nice design, great packaging -- I guess that's the winning combination.

Thanks for posting this.

The gun is pretty rare although I have seen it before but not the box. I bid but nowhere near the ending price. I suspect that without that rare box it would have gone for more like $500 or so. This is the kind of result I was half expecting on the rare Aoki tin litho ray gun I just bought.

• 1 month later...

How do you know that the seller or the sellers friends are not jacking up the price? I'm somewhat sceptical when it comes to Ebay. But I get suspiscious when prices seem out of wack. Of course this is unethical and anyone caught doing this should be banned from Ebay. I always just enter how much I'm willing to pay and that's it. I never get in a bidding war because I think that someone unethical could also set up a bidding sniper program to drive the price up.

...it happens all the time and not just on old toys, fix your price and stick to it ( if that's possible on stuff like this )...nice gun!

Noel.

Well... There's no way of knowing, of course. But I've seen guns reach surprising prices lately -- there are some collectors really leaping into the hobby, and prices are reflecting that.

Anyway, it's a risk you take, I guess, when using any auction site -- including live auctions, which, from what I've heard, are often surprisingly full of shill bidders... or, at least, used to be. Hasn't stopped me from bidding, hasn't stopped me from bidding more than my first bid, hasn't stopped me from snagging fantastic deals left and right. Or from paying prices that, when I really stop to think about it, make me cry just a couple tears. ;)

I like to think it all evens out in the end.

There's also the possibility that you got several people who really wanted the ray gun and got into a bidding war and that's what drove the price up. It does seem like a lot for a space gun.

Sorry, I'm not providing any info about the ray gun. Maybe it was the box that drove the price up?

Welcome to the forum Robotopia.

The box is exactly what drove the price that high in my opinion. I've seen the gun before and would expect it to get a couple hundred dollars or maybe more on a good day. I've never seen that box until this auction however so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's pretty rare in addition to being very desirable.

Hi Doc, yes you're right. it does even out in the end, I've paid way over the odds for TV related toys, I still have a Fairylite "Supercar" that I paid £70.00 for about sixteen years ago :blush: , a ridiculous price back then, it's only worth maybe £80.00 now! :( , anyway back to the Space gun, I've only seen this one loose in the past (I like the "cockpit" section on top) and regarding the price, I sold a boxed yellow Dan Dare Tri-Beam for £700.00 and that's a gun that is quite often found with the box and it's not the rarest Dan Dare item so I suppose this price is about right :blink:

Noel.

There's also the possibility that you got several people who really wanted the ray gun and got into a bidding war and that's what drove the price up. It does seem like a lot for a space gun.

Sorry, I'm not providing any info about the ray gun. Maybe it was the box that drove the price up?

As they say, It takes two to tango -- especially in an auction. :)

Ultimately, I wouldn't say it's a lot for a space gun... Or, at least, it's not outside the established range of prices. While it's true that some desirable space guns are quite inexpensive -- well under $50 in a few cases -- there are also quite a few that regularly hit many hundreds of dollars, or even a couple grand -- loose! Throw in the box, and sometimes the prices are staggering. Take the Pyrotomic Disintegrator. Loose, it regularly sells for between $1200 and $1800, depending on condition, variation, and phase of the moon. When a boxed one appeared, though, it hit $7,000! And I've heard rumors -- but highly plausible ones from people who are in a position to know -- that boxed examples of the gun have hit 10 grand!

Space guns are hot right now, no doubt about it. But it's still possible to built a wonderful collection for not too much money -- a fraction of the cost of a comparable robot collection, that's for sure!

Archived