Pifco Zeta Ray - A Question...

dratomic

I got an email from someone recently asking about the Pifco Zetaray. He says that sometime around 1969, his brother had the blue version of this gun. According to him, the gun could actually fire THREE DIFFERENT COLOR BEAMS, and it did so automatically, changing color every time the trigger was pulled.

Now, I've seen a number of these guns up close, in both the copper and blue colors. I have a blue one in the original box. As far as I can tell, there is NO WAY this is possible -- the construction of the gun is quite straight forward -- just a flashlight with a handle, and no room between the light and the front of the barrel for any sort of color changing mechanism, especially one that's connected and controlled by the trigger.

HOWEVER... My gun -- and the others I've seen -- are all from earlier than 1969... they date around 1959-1961, give or take. Is it possible that there's a later version of the gun? One that looks similar (since the person I spoke to specifically remembers it looking like mine)?

Has anyone heard of this? I'm particularly interested in hearing from the Brits on this board, since the toy came from you guys...

It's a great piece, one of the best, and I'd be fascinated to learn more about it.

Thanks!

Hi Doc, sorry not to be of much use here but as I'm a Brit I can say I've only seen the blue and gold versions, I had a gold one myself and I don't recall any other variations?

Noel.

Frankly, I don't think there are any other versions, either. I'm pretty sure the guy who emailed me is mistaken -- maybe he's confusing a couple different guns, or combining them all in his head. But I figured I'd throw it out there -- you never know.

Archived