Robotz11's (allison) Collection

robotz11

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those look great, Allison. Glad to see you were able to lug them home!

As for lighting, I use these:

www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60124272

You can see them in the photos I posted in the "private collections" forum. The key is to mount them as forward in the case as possible, so they shine not only down, but slightly towards the robots. Gives them a little more front light.

They're not perfect, but they seem to do okay. One warning: Some are pure white, others are "tinted" to look incandescent. Unfortunately, Ikea fails to label them one way or the other... so my case has some of each. It's not a huge deal, especially when other lights are on, but I notice it and it bugs me a bit...

Whatever you use, absolutely avoid halogen lights. They're way too hot and will melt some of your toys. I've seen it happen...

Bill,

Yes, that is a animation Cel. It's from the anime Robot Carnival. I have a few more hanging 'round the house.

Doc and Sarasota, thanks for the light tips! I didn't buy any at the time because I wanted to get some opinions before decided. I'll keep the halogen warning in mind. I was actually more worried that the lights would fade the boxes, and never even thought about them potentialy melting my collection!! :o

Allison, I'm sorry I didn't look in here sooner. Very nice collection and nicely displayed. You are now our unofficial poster girl (along with Dux) for recruiting more female robot collectors. ;)

Now that I think of it...maybe that recipe will only recruit more dude collectors? :unsure:

:P

If you're stuck with your Sweden supplyer, then I recommend for lighting the amazing (and EXPENSIVE !) multi-coloured LED bars available at the same dealer. They sell them by 4 + hub main AC connector. It's light, heatless, and can be used like an electric octopus : you can plug up to 8 bars to the "hub" (4 output of 2 chained bars by example). Changing color as your mood is a quite cool function...

... but still expensive (and don't trust the economic factor of LEDs since lighting a house is generaly only 11% of its total electrical consumption).

Since I've got the same glass stuff you own, I previously installed in them the little halogen 3 pack spots they recommend to put on top. Result ?

- I can't put most precious/tall robots on the top level since heat at less than 20cm is important.

- Lower levels still definitily in darkness.

So, this solution isn't one.

Archived