Finally Got My Rayguns On Display

Electric Robot and Son

I've been trying for a couple of months to get my growing collection of rayguns (at least the pistols) on display. Unlike robots and other space toys, the ray guns don't stand up unassisted, which makes displaying them more difficult. After several trips to IKEA I decided to use IKEA aluminum chalk/marker shelves mounted upside down on the wall, and build individual stands for the guns from some recycled pre-bent acrylic shelves I bought at a local store closeout. For some of the smaller guns I mounted several on one stand. This gives me the freedom to move them around and keep reorganizing as needed. Some of the rayguns we have had for a long time, but many are more recent acquisitions. I had promised my son for a long time that I would find a way to display the rayguns, and now they finally are on display on a wall in his bedroom. Here are some pics:

post-224-1213762927.jpg

post-224-1213762943.jpg

post-224-1213762963.jpg

post-224-1213762977.jpg

post-224-1213762994.jpg

post-224-1213763005.jpg

post-224-1213763017.jpg

post-224-1213763028.jpg

post-224-1213763042.jpg

post-224-1213763052.jpg

post-224-1213763064.jpg

post-224-1213763087.jpg

post-224-1213763096.jpg

post-224-1213763113.jpg

post-224-1213763149.jpg

post-224-1213763157.jpg

post-224-1213763173.jpg

post-224-1213763184.jpg

post-224-1213763199.jpg

post-224-1213763127.jpg

WOW!! Excellent job Joe. On both the display and the collection. You have been putting together some very nice guns there and that display looks like a lot of work went into it. Congratulations on a very nice collection. A nice gesture putting them in your son's room too. The pride and the love shows. :)

Wow! That's one of the finest displays of ray guns I've EVER seen. I love how the guns just float there... And the chalk selves are perfect -- the narrow metal looks nicely retro-futuristic.

And of course, your ray gun collection is superb. One of the best I've seen a long time, with wonderful and rare pieces. It's nice to finally have a chance to see it in all it's glory.

It's funny, I'd been talking to Phase Pistol at botstock about making a similar display system for my guns -- minus the chalk shelves, which are a stroke of genius! -- wherein I'd mount the toy on some sort of backing board and acrylic pegs, thus allowing me to (as you said) move the pieces around as the collection continues to grow. It seemed like such an overwhelming job, though, that I've been putting it off... it's nice to know I was at least thinking along the right lines, because you've demonstrated that it's a PERFECT way to show off toy guns! (Great minds think alike!!)

Congratulations on an job well done!

Great display and guns, Joe. looks like you're putting together a high quality collection. Very inventive display method. Love the floating look. How did you set the pins, drill and grommets/washers ;) ?

That is really great work! And a marvellous collection. Love the targets too, I didnt realize the space target was so big - nice!

WOW,,That genuinly was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this display,,,As I dont even own one raygun it's such a great site to see the guns all together like that...And a Very ingenious use of the shelving,,,,,,Brilliant!!!!

Phil,

I drilled holes and used poly zap, a super glue for plastics. I had tried a plastic solvent adhesive but that was slower drying so I switched. The only problem I had was the extruded acrylic rod diameter wasn't all that consistant so the rods were a little loose sometimes but I was still able to wick enough of the glue around the rod to create a good bond. It just took longer to cure. I used rubber o rings I got on ebay to keep the guns from sliding around on the rods. Cutting and smoothing the 1/4" acyrlic shelves was the time consuming part, but I only used about $20 worth of the shelves so the material costs were low.

Man, really beautiful. Great display. Great collection. The Spin-Ray looks very familar. Did you happen to get that from me? It would be great to know it's in such a nice collection. Leslie

Fantastic display - superior collection - one can readily see the love and pride that went into making this display.

I will say, all of these posts showing off everyone's great collections has motivated me to continue work on my "robot room". It's time I get my collections out of boxes and centralized!

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is WoW!!!! I LOVE your ingenuity!! You should be very proud of yourself, that's an incredible display! Great job, you're an inspiration for many of us (I speak for myself here) who have not yet built a display for our ray guns.. thanks SO much for sharing!

Rocket -[O_O]-

PS- glad you like the Spin Ray!

Archived