Pyrotomic Disintegrator Auction

Tinman

They did add additional pics. I am sure Dr A , FJW or phil might be able to shed some light on what they think about this price.

I think the price was respectable for the copper variation. To be honest I really didn't know what to expect. The candy colored variation as we know can sell in the $1600 - $2000 range. Not sure what copper pyros in good condition have gone for at auction.

There is another issue with this particular example however. The black handle and silver colored dial at the bottom of the handle are new to me. Usually the handle is all one color. The seller received several questions about it possibly being a re-paint and the seller is adamant that it looks very much like a factory finish. Doc and I have never seen this variation - if it is in fact legit. I don't know if there are any collectors out there who have seen another example like it. If it is a factory variation it's a very rare piece, if it's a re-paint it's a piece with some problems. Sure would like to know one way or the other.

The price was about right for a copper Pyro pistol -- $1200-$1400 is the usual range. But as Fin says, this one's got some mystery surrounding it. I've seen about seven or eight copper Pyros in my time, both in person and in photos (including my own), and none of them have had paint like this one, or the remains of any paint. We all know that doesn't mean anything; unusual variations of toys pop up all the time. Still, it made me a little suspicious.

I wonder how it would have done without the paint issue... Regardless, it's an extremely rare gun and, paint notwithstanding, it's in terrific condition.

Perhaps we could contact the winner at a later time to gauge his/her opinion on the painted handle? Although, as a model builder with an airbrush I'm sure I could give it a "factory" finish.

The seller included a link in the auction listing to additional photos.

As for making the paint look "factory"... If you look at the paint details on a lot of these old guns, the quality is pretty terrible. Off-center, fuzzy, etc. So a kid who's used to making models wouldn't have too much trouble painting it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Having owned and sold many Pyrotomic pistols and rifles, both colored and the copper/silver, this gun was quite suspect to me, and still is. I have never seen one with this "variation" nor never even heard of one. Almost all applied finish on plastic guns is heat-stamped, NOT painted.. paint often contains chemicals which will eat plastic, so you will rarely, if ever, see actual paint used from the factory on plastic guns. The Pyrotomic rifle uses a white pigmented heat-stamp on the butt over the letters, so it doesn't make sense that Pyro would use hand applied paint on the pistol and not on the rifle? Not to mention two different colors, and in several different places on the gun. Did anyone notice that the port holes are also painted silver? My guess is a kid saw the box (where the gun appears painted in the same places), and decided he wanted his gun to look just like the box. There is no way to know for sure without seeing the gun in person, but in my humble opinion (and I have discussed this with two other major collector/dealers, one of whom wrote the book RayGun on the subject) this is an amateur job, not a factory variation. Also, the Pyro guns were very inexpensive, mass produced toys, which were so flimsy, they were often broken right out of the box.. it was simply a cheap clicker gun... so to think the company would go through the added expense and time for an employee to hand paint the guns before packaging is extremely unlikely. My guess is it would have gone for closer to $1600 had there been no paint, and better clearer photos posted initially. Still a good find in any condition.. I haven't seen one for sale in quite a long time.

Rocket -[O_O]-

Archived