Mr. Jaypeg

robobob

When I started on this guy, I fully intended to make a version of the Cragstan Talking robot, but...

Then I saw where John did a GREAT looking conversion with one of these little digital picture frames,

and since imitation is supposedly the highest form of flattery...hope you don't mind, Mr. Rigg !

The body is the Mr. Robot who so graciously donated his arms and head for the Mr. Jupiter project.

The head is, of course, from the old Mr. Mercury, and the arms came from the spare parts bin.

The clear dome was one half of a 2-piece craft globe that I bought a few of a year or so ago.

I got the picture frame off Ebay, (where else), for under 10.00 with shipping...what a deal !

John added a seperate power supply for the camera, and had to preload the pics before assembly.

I decided to leave the internal battery, and cut a small access hole in the side for the USB cable.

This way I can recharge it, and change the pictures when I need to. I also drilled three holes

in the chest plate, so you can use a stiff wire to reach in and access the buttons on top of the frame.

I am using one of the left over spinning antennas from the Chiefs. I have since drilled a small hole

in the hand so he can hold the antenna for safe keeping when not in use.

Hope you like it...

I seem to be on a bit of a creative roll lately, and am trying to strike while the iron is hot, I guess ! :)

post-130-1212460747.jpg

post-130-1212460764.jpg

post-130-1212460778.jpg

post-130-1212460795.jpg

post-130-1212460812.jpg

post-130-1212460825.jpg

Yes back when I built the custom robot for Robert Lessor (Botstock 3 I think) I used a modified digital camera as a LCD picture viewer but when I made my Mr. Chief Video Man robot I used the same little keychain LCD device. It holds 70 of the space toys from the Robert Lessor auction and quality is quite good.

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...ic=7435&hl=

Here are three tips for any of you that might want to play with these little veiwers. The do need 3.6 to 4.5 volts so if you want to use a extrenal power source then 3 AAA batterys work great and last for ever. Also if you want to build the unit into the robot as I did and you do not want to try and reach the control buttons but just want it to start playing its automactic slide show then just cut the wires to the internal battery when the unit is RUNNING the slide show, then extrend the power wires to outside the case trew a small hole. You will now find that the unit will automaticly go in to slide show play when ever you connect the external power source, no buttons or menu to fool with.

And lastly I just tried this today, I found a 3X power magnifier at the craft shop and when it placed on top the little viewer the picture is 3 times larger and still very good quality, so I will most likly do a robot with a larger picture view port on the front one of these days.

Great job, Bob. And with those arms he looks like he's been working out. He could have been a soldier robot. :D

Just got back from Vegas tonight (flying through some nasty storms I might add heading east) and had to check things out on the drome, and saw this GEM!!! Great job Robobob! :o Love the color. The external cable is a great idea.

Archived