Cleaning Tarnished Bright Metal Parts

Sparkrobot

I not really a skilled renovator,but when I see something I think I can tackle I will give it a go..I bought this video robot really cheap from a toy fair when I got it home I noticed the mouth was really black looking ,as I knew it is made of metal I thought I would try and polish it up [ in the past I've used the finest emery paper and usually end up scratching the part] This time I had the brainwave to use my wifes nail polisher [ She said she didn't want it,so I was safe there],I thought if it's delicate enough for a manicure it wont do the robot any harm.Well the results were instant and without hardly any effort using all the different grades on the polisher it brought it up really shiny...The only thing is now I need something to really get into the crevices..So it's off to the womans beauty counter on Monday :huh: ;)

post-540-1211708288.jpg

post-540-1211708298.jpg

post-540-1211708535.jpg

perhaps fine steel wool or strip the sandpaper off the nail file and bend it in half. I bought a small chroming kit with this sort of project in mind but have never tried it. Of course it hadn't occured to me that the brightwork would buff up that nice.

• 4 months later...

Hi Steve, just spotted this neat tip. I'm going to get a few of these on Monday! I use dental drills with various attachments for polishing but sometimes it's awkward to hold, these seem perfect for those difficult areas, thanks for the tip! :D

Here's a couple of pics of the big 10" Buick I've just done!

Noel

post-648-1223188632.jpg

post-648-1223188661.jpg

post-648-1223188685.jpg

post-648-1223188721.jpg

Noel,, Genius!!That's proper renovating........I hope the nail polshers help you out,,I stumbled on it accidently and it helped out with the video robots mouth, but with your restoration skills you should be able to use the idea to it's full potentual :)

Archived