Chief Patrol Robot- A New Conversion

laserman

Well, yard spring cleaning is done, my second son is graduated from college, and my wife and I have our 30th anniversary trip planned. So, I was finally able to get back to the shop and do some fun stuff....

Here is my next Chief conversion I dubb Patrol Robot for lack of a better name. The head is from the Robby Piston robot and modified with a scratch built eye assembly. Operation is the same as the basic Chief. The only other "new" innovation is a Electroluminescence panel (same as what lights your cell phone) used to light the oscilloscope screen. I've been experimenting with these for other projects, and thought it would work nice here and it does. The blue color (Duplicolor Bahama Blue) of the robot is quite a bright blue metallic and doesn't always come through in some of the pictures. Enjoy, on to the next one.

Here is a silent video of his operation. Lighting for the video is lousy, but it shows the basic operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubqOd2qpHQE

post-226-1211660041.jpg

post-226-1211660063.jpg

post-226-1211660073.jpg

post-226-1211660083.jpg

post-226-1211660093.jpg

post-226-1211660117.jpg

post-226-1211660128.jpg

post-226-1211660137.jpg

post-226-1211661620.jpg

Laserman,,,,,,,What a robot!!!!!!Perfectly balanced,,,If that robot was in production I would go and buy it immeidiatly..Brilliant!!!!!!!!!! :)

Beautiful job, Laserman, and thank you for including a video too!

What a pity that we can't put some of these fantastic robots into production, or at least into a book like "Customized Toy Robots - The Alphadrome Collection" or something.

Beautiful job, Laserman, and thank you for including a video too!

What a pity that we can't put some of these fantastic robots into production, or at least into a book like "Customized Toy Robots - The Alphadrome Collection" or something.

[/quote

Laserman, I'd be happy to have this in my collection anyday, what a superb conversion! :o

Noel.

Thanks all!!

Kilroy, Essentially I used Evergreen Styrene sheet to make the vertical and horizontal backplane to fit into the Piston Robby face area. I then used Evergreen 3/16" and 1/8" square strips to build the light housing. I wanted a look similar to the flyeye robots with the round holes. I did not want to buy a big sheet of the material, and I found these desk organizing accessories like pencil holders and envelope organizers made from this same perforated sheet metal stuff on clearance at Office Max for three bucks. I cut a piece of this metal and glued it to a piece of red translucent plastic (taken from a rectangular trailer light assembly bought at Walmart for $1.97) with Weldbond glue which dries crystal clear. That's about it. You do need to make sure that the assembly allows enough clearance for the dome to fit over when done.

Bob

post-226-1211812914.jpg

post-226-1211812925.jpg

post-226-1211812953.jpg

post-226-1211812967.jpg

post-226-1211813013.jpg

Genius! I am not actually familiar with the styrene, will have to spend more time hanging around the modelling shops.

Genius! I am not actually familiar with the styrene, will have to spend more time hanging around the modelling shops.

Hi Laserman, just to follow, I was reading the updates on your brilliant conversion and this recent refurb sprang to mind, it's the perfect solution to the red gel window I needed! I was "chuffed to bits" as we say over here!

Kilroy, I'd be careful "hanging round" those model shops if they're like the ones over here...it's another world! :blink:

Noel

post-648-1211825798.jpg

post-648-1211825813.jpg

Archived