Storage Question Heat Shrink Plastic Wrap

Topper

Hi All

I'm hoping someone has experience in this area. Has anyone used the plastic wrap that shrinks with heat for storing toys and boxes (the heat used is typically a blow dryer). I can't find any literature on potential material interaction between the different plastics and/or cardboard. I suppose you could use archival plastic or tissue as an initial wrap. Because of limited space and moisture issues I need to move some things to long term storage.

Any feedback and opinions would be great.

Thanks,

Angel

Hi topper...you"re right about the moisture issues...could be trapped in the shrinkwrap..thinking off the top of my head..perhaps wrap the items in light paper towel along with a silica gel pouch/ pillow and then wrap them...the tissue should keep the plastic from contacting the cardboard...i hope this opens up debate for you..regards hj.

Angel, just like everything else that requires expertise even the experts differ on preservation of antiquities. The consensus seems to be when storing paper related items that allowing them to breathe is the best way to go. This method allows the gases emitted from the paper and especially higher acid cardboard to escape rather than concentrating and doing accelerated damage.

Then use archival boxes that have reinforced corners for protection and store the boxes in moderate temperatures out of light. Not the basement or attic. if you can't comply with those parameters consider wrapping the items in archival tissue in plastic containers and open the containers often enough to allow gases from cardboard to escape. ;)

Angel, just like everything else that requires expertise even the experts differ on preservation of antiquities. The consensus seems to be when storing paper related items that allowing them to breathe is the best way to go. This method allows the gases emitted from the paper and especially higher acid cardboard to escape rather than concentrating and doing accelerated damage.

Then use archival boxes that have reinforced corners for protection and store the boxes in moderate temperatures out of light. Not the basement or attic. if you can't comply with those parameters consider wrapping the items in archival tissue in plastic containers and open the containers often enough to allow gases from cardboard to escape. ;)

Thanks All. Good advice. I may use the plastic for a few non-paper items for safe storage. I'll check with the manufactuer about potential interactions.

Angel

Archived