Plastic Robot Melt Marks

Tinman

Several of my plastic robots have melt marks and the Space Commander Robot I received yesterday is no exception. At first I thought the marks on the battery door were intentional until I realized it was caused by the controllers ribbon cable. How do you suppose things like this happen? Packed while still soft at manufacture, stored/shipped in a hot environment, thoughts? Fortunately, few if any melt marks on my robots occur on the "sweet side".

Also, the robot is in need of a deep cleaning.

post-329-1209521156.jpg

The plastics on the cables interact with the plastic in the bodies and over time the cable plastic dissolves the body Plastic.

Yes this has been covered in depth by Henk in old arcived posts that some one may be able to find. But its true the type of plastic material that is used on wire will melt right into the styreen plastic parts of robots and if the toy is in a styrafoam packing then it can eat in to that as well. So never wrap the remote control wires around the robot or the plastic battery box! In fact wrapt the wires in paper before placeing the same box as the plastic robot parts just to be safe.Venus robot is a good example of this, about 10 or 12 years ago Ray Rhor had a bigt stash of mint old stock venus robots and about 1/2 of them had the remote battery wire melted into the plastic parts. I have seen it on Mr. Mercury battery boxes where the remote wire cable has beem wraped around the remote battery box as well.

Good information guys, makes sense and never occured to me. I'll be sure to box this guy with the remote cables wrapped in paper.

What about robots without remotes? I have some plastic examples without remotes or cables (red My Robo from Japan for example) having deep marks at the rear.

post-329-1209554340.jpg

Archived