Scott's Collection

SarasotaRobby

Here's a cool little space vehicle of mine I'd like to get more info on and possibly have someone get it running/ add replacement tracks. It is sort of a space tow truck. The back winch assembly moves back and forward on a track by moving one crank. The hook lowers and raises with another crank. There is a crew of four on the inside of the cabin, with some control room graphics on the back wall. It has rubber tracks which have deteriorated in recent years. I think the headlights worked. There is still one crew man on the back deck, but holes for at least two more. In addition there are four small holes in the corners of the windshield that may have had trim attached. I have seen it one other time with the aforementioned missing crewmen present. No markings other than Made in Japan. I bought this a while back, purely on the styling. It reminds me of those classic Chris Craft cabin cruisers in the cabin area, and the tailight assembly is pure 50's Detroit.

Any info would be appreciated.

Scott

post-704-1209694000.jpgSpacetow.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI SarasotaRobby, WOW! the Robby is superb and thanks for the extra pictures, the attention to detail and the figh gloss finish are wonderful, I'd love one, he could serve drinks at parties and stuff! :lol:

Noel.

Hey Scott, take a look at these earlier links....(great looking collection, by the way...)

Bandai Moon Explorer # 1

Bandai Moon Explorer # 2

Sorry, I posted them wrong earlier. Should be working now.

Cool! Thanks!

So I finally see what is supposed to be on the end of the winch. Kind of a weird concept-- I would've thought there might have been a futurstic piece of space hardware or some car in tow... not a fighter jet. I like the antenna on the box art better than the one on the toy. I wonder if they started out being manufactured straight but had to be changed lest they poke out eyes?

I'm going to drag the box art into Illustrator this weekend and see what I can do about making a repro.

Thanks again!

Scott

Well, here's my 42" Martian War Machine waiting to be hung. It is pretty shiney too. I figured if it is supposed to be an alien metal, I can make it as shiney as I want. In the background you can see an as yet unpainted 4 foot Jupiter 2.

So your a builder too ??????

So your a builder too ??????

Well, I built that MWM, which was not hard, and I am finishing up a four foot Jupiter 2. One of my previous careers was museum work, and I have done displays and dioramas for various museums.

I have 2 storage units completely filled up with my sci-fi models, most of which I'll not get to before my eyes go bad.

I've yet to build a robot, though I am researching one now....

Scott

:) Hi and welcome to Alphadrome SarasotaRobby. Great looking pieces, -thanks for showing.-Larry 7

Your robot is an eye opener for me!

I've not seen a robot so huge, it's awesome!!!

Great Collections!

:lol: :D B) :blink: ;) :)

Here is a cool little spaceship toy I got on ebay. The box art was the main reason I bought it, but the toy itself is pretty darn cool.

It is by Alps. I'd say late 60's or early to mid 70's Mfgr., judging by the mix of tin and plastic parts. It features a 6" tin spaceship that travels along a ribbon monorail. The monorail can be set up with loops. The bottom of the ship has a drive system similar to roller coasters that travel inverted, allowing it to ride upside down. I bought it with full intent of playing with it a few times but I've yet to get it out of the box.

post-704-1210187003.jpg

post-704-1210187031.jpgDSC01119.JPGDSC01120.JPG

Thanks!

Check out this guy... he has way more big robots, (and apparently time) than I do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wizojoz

And Mr. Riggs has a slew of them on his site.

With the smaller robots you can get by with a dedicated room, but the big ones eventually need a dedicated building!

Your robot is an eye opener for me!

I've not seen a robot so huge, it's awesome!!!

Great Collections!

:lol: :D B) :blink: ;) :)

• 2 months later...

Well, thanks to Jovigirltx and Pat both selling stuff, my collection has been getting yet more Robbys and B9's. Here's revised pics of the collection.

post-704-1216257808.jpg

post-704-1216257884.jpg

post-704-1216257917.jpg

Scott,

You have no idea how happy I am that some of my robots have found a new home with such a huge fan of all things Robby! ;) The John Rigg custom Robby Jeep with crew members (Whose uniforms were made by John's late Mom so they're very special indeed!) looks great on that futuristic table and so does the Robby & Altaira model from my good friend Paul James at Amok Time Toys.

Keep up the great collecting. Your life-sized robots look awesome in front of that glass block wall by the way. I really like that. How about a shot of Robby and B-9 lit-up? Thanks! ;)

Wow. That all looks GREAT! Truly a top-notch display. I can't believe I missed this thread until now...

I love the Martian War Machine -- it's such a great design, and you've done an excellent job on the model.

I'm also a big fan of the rocket base toy thing that's on the bottom shelf of your right cabinet. It's such a cool, futuristic design. If I had a place to display it, I'd probably pick one up... One day... sigh...

Anyway, it's a really great collection.

Archived