Scott's Collection

SarasotaRobby

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nothing looks as good in front of glass bricks, as do those robots."

Thanks,

Here's a later picture of most of the same smaller bots in their Ikea cases...

Scott

Welcome to Alphadrome SarasotaRobby!

Beautiful collection especially with the model kits thrown into the mix. As for those cabinets I was looking at those recently as well and I wondered what the toys would look like in them, now I know! Thanks for the great pics.

Morbius said:
Welcome to Alphadrome SarasotaRobby!

Beautiful collection especially with the model kits thrown into the mix. As for those cabinets I was looking at those recently as well and I wondered what the toys would look like in them, now I know! Thanks for the great pics.

Thanks,

The Ikea cabinets were a compromise from what I wanted, but they work. I had been scouring commercial store fixture shops for a few years looking for the perfect cases. The Ikea solution is less than 400 bucks per case, but you have to assemble them, and the frames on the doors obsure what's behind them to some degree. Still, they are a vast improvement from what I had...as you can see....

I am more excited about the light system they sell, shown in my last pic. It is a series of diodes behind a disc of white plastic and it gives the look and light output of a can spot light, but it is only .25" thick and attaches with double faced tape. I bought a bunch of exta sets to illuminate all my various cases. They offer them with white lights, or sets that change colors.....

Scott,

On a very personal note and for totally seflish reasons, is there any chance that I could ask you to either post here, or directly email to me, more photos of what is clearly a Fred Barton Robby The Robot.

I've got two Full-sized B-9 that I built myself when I was an active member of the B-9 Robot Builder's Club and I think they're among the best I've ever seen! ver seen! Can yu tell I'm a proud Papa? LOL!) and a full-sized Robby built by John Rigg. And although Rigg'd Robby id trully amazing in its total dedication to detail, it lacks some of the "Hollywood Jazziness" of a Barton Robby. I've owned R2-D2's and C-3PO's built by Fred and his stuff is just amazing. And after over ten years of trying to justify the expense, I think I'm about ready t go order a genuine Fred Barton Robby. So any close up hotos, as well as your comments and thoughts would be so helpfull to me. Thanks again for your help. Please email to:

mechanizedrobot (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

thanks again in advance or all youe help!!!! ;)

Scott,

On a very personal note and for totally seflish reasons, is there any chance that I could ask you to either post here, or directly email to me, more photos of what is clearly a Fred Barton Robby The Robot.

I've got two Full-sized B-9 that I built myself when I was an active member of the B-9 Robot Builder's Club and I think they're among the best I've ever seen! ver seen! Can yu tell I'm a proud Papa? LOL!) and a full-sized Robby built by John Rigg. And although Rigg'd Robby id trully amazing in its total dedication to detail, it lacks some of the "Hollywood Jazziness" of a Barton Robby. I've owned R2-D2's and C-3PO's built by Fred and his stuff is just amazing. And after over ten years of trying to justify the expense, I think I'm about ready t go order a genuine Fred Barton Robby. So any close up hotos, as well as your comments and thoughts would be so helpfull to me. Thanks again for your help. Please email to:

mechanizedrobot (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

thanks again in advance or all youe help!!!! ;)

Hi,

I'll try and get some better shots of my Robby. He is indeed a Fred Barton Robby. My B9 is a very, very early Fred Barton built robot, which replaced the Dewey Howard B9 (Dewey's #2 robot) I had before. The Maria is from Volker Strauss.

I was in Hollywood a couple years back at the DeMille Barn for a retrospective featuring Bob Kinoshita. Mr. Kinoshita, as you know, is credited with designing Robby, B9 the C57-D saucer and such. The talk featured Mr. Kinoshita recollecting his role in the design of Robby, with several stars of Forbidden Planet there to give glimpses of what it was like to work on that film. Bob Mays was there to talk about his time inside B9, and another stunt man talked about his time in Robby for one of the Twilight Zone episodes. But the main reason I flew out there was Bill Mallone and the real Robby were going to be there. I basked in all that was Robbyness for an evening, got my picture with Robby, with Mr. Kinoshita, got some cool shots of an original Twilight Zone Robby head, and finally met Fred Barton as well. I have a picture of Fred, Bill and Bob together, kind of a Robby Trinity...

The thing that struck me from just standing there soaking in the original Robby was just how much it looked like the one in my house. Other than my Robby is a lot glossier than a robot meant for studio lights, they look damn close to identical.

I'll post some more images, smaller in size this time so I don't bog down the page. And I'll email you some direct.

Scott

Wellcome to Alphadrome SRobby,,A nice robot collection, The big robots infront of the glass bricks look jaw droppingly good,,,,,,I would love to have a Fred Barton Robby,it's the shipping costs to England that I'm guessing would be really scary......

Sparkrobot said:
Wellcome to Alphadrome SRobby,,A nice robot collection, The big robots infront of the glass bricks look jaw droppingly good,,,,,,I would love to have a Fred Barton Robby,it's the shipping costs to England that I'm guessing would be really scary......

Thanks!

Yes, there was a fellow in England that had 8 foot Seaview submarines. I really wanted one but the shipping was far more than the model. Robby comes in three pieces...I wonder if he was sent separately it would be any less painful.....

Here is a couple shots of my Robby before he left the International Headquarters of Fred Barton Productions. Note the full sized Time Machine behind him, as seen on the Big Bang show mentioned in another thread.

Scott

Scott__s1.jpgScott__s2.jpgScott__s2.jpg

post-704-1209569231.jpg

post-704-1209569256.jpg

Here's my previous B9 (As seen on the cover of a UK Sci Fi Modeling magazine----without friend).

See, chicks do dig robots.

post-704-1209586285.jpgjamibot2.jpg

Eagle said:
I'm starting to really like this thread !!!! That Robby is just amazing !!!! The sheen. 😛

Well, here's my 42" Martian War Machine waiting to be hung. It is pretty shiney too. I figured if it is supposed to be an alien metal, I can make it as shiney as I want. In the background you can see an as yet unpainted 4 foot Jupiter 2.

MWM.jpg

Archived