1983 - Johnson Wax Robot (revised 05-29-17)

Joe K.

It's Extravagansa Weekend along the Antique Strip, here in Adamstown, PA.

Here's my latest acquisition from an early morning trip to Renningers:

Mom__s_Flowers_081.jpg

It's the Johnson Wax robot:

Mom__s_Flowers_083.jpg

In it's original shipping box that's UPS dated 01-20-88:

Mom__s_Flowers_084.jpg

One might safely assume that this mail-in offer was also available in 1987 and this particular piece wasn't shipped out until the beginning of 1988.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly the case. See John's post below...

(I've revised the date heading accordingly)

Those were sold by 'Canadian Tire' stores at the dateline you mention. Solid little guy, wife of Morbius suggested I buy one for $9.99 at the time. Oh well! :P

Joe if you need it I can take a picture of Johnsons Wax Robot and shipping box. Mine is dated October 30th 1987 so its a few months earlyer than yours. I remember ordering it the second I saw the offer.

• 6 years later...

My son just came across this website at a yard sale this weekend. It has the original outer cardboard box, instructions, and styrofoam packaging. Does it have any value at all? Any other details on it available? How many were made or where it originally was sold?

Here's a recently ended listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-SC-Johnson-Wax-Advertising-Battery-Operated-Toy-Robot-Complete-With-Org-Box-/322524303666?hash=item4b17f25132%3Ag%3A21oAAOSwY3BZIc-x&nma=true&si=WkS%2Bh%2FVZu5X0JhSL%2FD4TZG%2FFwOM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

confirming that this mail-in premium robot was available in 1983:

johnson wax robot date.jpg

The date is difficult to make out, but the seller states in his description:

"I sent in for this premium in November 1982 and it was shipped on January 19, 1983 as appears on the UPS postmark."

I've edited the topic title date accordingly

This thread would confirm that this offer was around for at least six years. That seems like a long time to me. I'm currently searching for the original ad or coupon for this robot toy. Might anyone have more info?

John, do you remember what you needed to do to get this piece? Was there a coupon that came with a JW product? A magazine advertisement?

Archived