Steam Punk Robot Chief "rust-o" Conversion

robothut

Rust-O was the pride of the Farm back in 1875. He may have looked better back then but he still is ready to do a days work even now! Here is a link to short video of all the actions. and a web page on the project.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/SPRobotChief.wmv

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/SPRobotChief.html

The pictures do not do it justice, as strobe pictures make it look brighter than it is and non strobe pictures look dark and poor color. But you get the idea.

When the robot is moving with bump and go action the two paddle wheel type units and pistions on the side will be moveing. When the bump and got stops the head turns side to side with flashing eyes. Steam wafts out of the top of the head at all times. The large flywheel in the chest and push rods/gear unit move at all times.

post-7-1208125965.jpg

Here are some angle shots. The robot is sitting on a roll of masking tape so I could run the robot for the video but not have it fly off the bench.

post-7-1208126090.jpg

post-7-1208126116.jpg

When I thought of the design for this robot I was thinking about Side wheel river steam boats and a episode of Wild Wild west called the BRAIN where a bad guy road around in a steam porwed wheel chair. So I made a paper template for scale then made a master part from plastic and from that made a silputty mold so that I could cast a few of these parts.

The fly wheel is made from PVC pope and styreen plastic. The rust effect on this project is actual rust! There is a latex paint you can buy that has iron powder in it, so any thing you can paint with this iron paint you can rust! They sell a rust activator that speeds up the rust action of the iron paint.

The flywheel is powered by a Robosapien motor unit.

post-7-1208126599.jpg

post-7-1208126622.jpg

post-7-1208126767.jpg

The side wheel units are powered by Nano gear motors.

Here you can see the new arm axle that is bent to keep it out of the way of the chest flywheel unit. Here you can see the painted and rusted front and back body parts and the non rusted inside front and back body parts.

post-7-1208126966.jpg

post-7-1208126997.jpg

post-7-1208127024.jpg

Here is the plastic robot that donated its head and arms for the project. And here are the head arms and Side wheel covers rusted. And here you can see the front chest details being worked out. Since Chief robot man already had Tits (can I say Tits here?" I thought some nice spigots would look good in there place.

post-7-1208127163.jpg

post-7-1208127186.jpg

post-7-1208127317.jpg

John,,,,,,,Rust-O is fantastic.........When you play the video clip you can get the real beauty of him,,so much going on and the sounds are almost as if he is straining after all the years he's been inactive [ hope that was intentional].......I guess you will want to take him to botstock ,,email about him later.

Although I see Steampunk in general as a contradiction as a creation.............The ray guns make no sense !!! I like this guy a lot !! Bring him with you John !!!! It will pay your gas bill !! :rolleyes:

In fear of pulling a "Simon" here (American Idol ref), I must say that this one isn't singing to me, Mr. Rigg. Love the concept! Love the gears and pistons! But I think the finish is throwing me of. Maybe it looks a little too corroded? Maybe it's the yellow.I think the head may be a little too modern for steampunkishness.

Over all, he's still pretty damn cool.

Thats OK Andyman I made it to please myself no one else, also it looks different in person. I already have planed to make a shiny new painted version of it as well. For me, it turned out almost exactly the way I wanted and its just too cool to see operate inperson. As for being too rusted, when something is "too" rusted it falls apart in a pile of rust dust. I got as close as I could with out going that far.

As for being too rusted, when something is "too" rusted it falls apart in a pile of rust dust. I got as close as I could with out going that far.

I had a 1973 Mazda pick-up like that !!! It was so rusted that my Dad made me take it off the road when the door fell off in the driveway. It was still running.

First car I ever had was a 1962 Bel-Air station wagon with a straight six. It was the size of an ocean liner. And it looked like this robot, but I loved her! Re-painted her with 9 cans of spray paint (oxblood was the color) and to me it was the most beautiful car in the world.

I took my sister to the library one day after school and when we came out the car was gone. In it's place was a huge pile of ash and crumbled Bondo! What was left of the car was half-way down the block as a UPS truck had crashed into it and sent her flying. At the end of the rust trail was the frame and four wheels and not much else. Except for more ash, rust, and crumbled Bondo. LOL!! I was heartbroken! :(

Looking back, I wish that car had been built by John Rigg. It would still be running and have laser cannons for headlights! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!! That ol' Robot Hut creative genius just never ceases to amaze. What a clever and delightful creation; I'm looking forward to seeing it in person sometime soon!

You should send a link to that video to the Rust-Oleum corporation, and invite them to shoot a commercial with your Rust-O robot featured somehow.

They'd be crazy not to do it.

Archived