Rocket Racer

Eagle

This morning I was working on a tractor and my son comes out and tells me there is an auction down the road a few miles. It wasn't listed anywhere, so we all took off to check it out. As soon as we arrived and I secured my number I saw a Rocket racer sitting on the table. It was in very good shape with just a windshield missing. It says modern toys on the bottom. It was a little over a hundred bucks. Bought it and left. Just had a few minutes to jot down this note as I'm outta here going trout fishing . I haven't had a chance to see if it's worth anything. I'll check when I get back tonight. There was also a robot bus that went for a hundred bucks.

post-545-1208036659.jpg

Come on guys !!!!!! Nobody knows anything about this guy? I can't find anything but reproduction stuff !!!! This isn't a repo .

Come on guys !!!!!! Nobody knows anything about this guy? I can't find anything but reproduction stuff !!!! This isn't a repo .

Hi Eagle, here's mine, your's isn't a repro (tin head) but we all know it must be THE most copied space toy of all time. Picked mine up in Singapore, a bit scruffy so I took it to peices and re-polished the lot with car polish (always works great if you're careful) then re-tabbed it. The base has the trademark TM Modern toys logo and you can see what the windshield looks like (maybe one from the repro version would do?)

Have fun Noel.

Ps... rather not know about that Robot Bus for $100 :(

post-648-1208093445.jpg

post-648-1208093465.jpg

See Modern Toys from Japan by William C. Gallagher, page 196. A full color photo of this exact toy and its box are pictured. The box calls this Rocket Racer Super Sonic Speedster. Mr. Gallagher dates this 7 inch friction toy from 1952, with a scarcity rating of "6" and a value of between $200-$350. Perhaps FJW or steve can post a photo.

Sorry Eagle - I've been busy getting ready for botstock. Here's that William Gallagher entry. Nice pick up - it's quite an accomplishment these days to find anything outside of ebay. I like when this happens. :)

Gernot and Toyman- Fantastic pics as always.

post-143-1208283327.jpg

One more

Hi Tinluver,

The pictures of your rockets and the smaller space cars are amazing! I love the darker,muted colours from this era, the condition and rarity are impressive...AND THOSE BOXES, they look new :o many of them I haven't seen before? Congratulations on a fine collection and I admire your taste.... pure quality!

Ps here's another one of mine!

Noel.

post-648-1208415610.jpg

Great toy Noel.Box is one of the best! Here are a few other cool toys I have had.

Hi Tinluver,

When you say "have had" do you mean they've been sold? :( that would be a shame, they're all superb. I especially love the "Marsman" thing with the hump on the back, what an odd design? Also what does (or did) the silver telescope looking thing do? not seen that one before.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more pics from your top-notch collection! :)

Noel.

oh... and here's another one from the collection, and with the rare box!... hope you like, ;)

post-648-1208458833.jpg

Hey Noel, your boxes are fantastic,and quite hard to come by.The Kalidyscope is wind up and has small chips that look like rockets and saucers under a light.It is early 1940s with a fantastic box.Yes I in fact recently sold off much of my collection as timing was right.I collected robots for 10 years, sold them and got into rockets which I enjoyed even more.Attached is a pic of my rocket collection at its peak.

post-541-1208478951.jpg

Archived