Aluminium Robot, Anyone Seen It Before

MetalRobotHead

I was hoping to win this Aluminium Robot but didn't have a clue as to its age, rarity or value, so as usual didn't put in a big enough bid. Any ideas from the dromers of its origins. Didn't like to ask while it was live. It made $59, wish I had bid a bit more now. :unsure:

post-214-1207731475.jpg

This looks a lot like several robots that I purchased from a single ebay seller over a period of a couple of years a while back. The story was that while traveling in Mexico city, she found a group of robots hanging in the window of a machine shop. When she inquired about them, the owner said he had his employees make them just to keep busy when business was slow. She bought several and was letting them go one at a time on ebay. I bought 5 or 6, I think. I will attempt to dig some out (a daunting task) and post pics.... give me a couple of days. You wouldn't happen to remember the seller's name, would you? I might recognize it if I heard it again.

You wouldn't happen to remember the seller's name, would you? I might recognize it if I heard it again.

The seller was 'silvestre1962', from Mexico. WJN I would certainly like to see some of your collection when you have time to find them.

As these are custom made figuars I would contact the seller and tell them that you are interested in buy one or some if they have a any leads on more.

Ok, here we go... was able to dig out some fairly easily, the rest would be much harder. The seller you mentioned is not the one I bought from, she was in the USA. The robot in question & the first two of mine are obviously related.

First one is all aluminum except for brass screw belly button, arms swing at shoulders.

Second one is all aluminum except brass ears & nose(mouth?) Arms swing at shoulders, and leg mount scheme is identical to the one you've pictured. Sorry for poor photo, my camera doesn't do well on small pieces.

post-44-1207800342.jpg

post-44-1207800435.jpg

I also found this all brass guy, not the same family, but same species- his neck, shoulders, elbows, hips, & knees are ball jointed and poseable... I suspect he is missing his feet.

post-44-1207800645.jpg

WJN, Thanks for the photos, as you say the one with green body is very similar, smaller than the one listed on ebay I seem to recall it was 5.5 inches tall Looks like they might be difficult to find.

robothut, I'll take your advice and get in touch with the seller. thanks

MetalRobotHead, I Hope you have luck with the seller maybe the seller can work with the machine shop and they would be willing to build a run of robots for all us interested collectors here on Alphadrome. It might be a good leverage tool to bring up and if they will build more then good all us as well.

Archived