Robie Robotic Banker - How To Disassemble

rebeltaz

I have a Radio Shack Robie the Robotic Banker that I need to get open. The switch on the hand that activates the action seems to be stuck - as soon as you turn the switch on his foot on, it just keeps going through it's motions over and over again. I think at some point, someone must have pressed the hand too hard and bent the leaf switch too far.

I figured out that there is tape on the inside holding the two halves together. I have cut the tape apart, which was easier on one side than the other! Anyway, I think that the yellow caps on his arms comes off and there are screws under them. I can't pull the yellow caps off, but then again, I'm not putting too much pressure on them - I'm afraid of breaking something.

Can someone tell me how this thing is supposed to come apart? Nondestructively preferably.

I really appreciate it!

• 4 years later...

I realize your question is nearly five years old, Derek, but perhaps the answer might still help you or others.

The switch on Robie's foot is the DEMO switch. In the "ON" position, the toy is supposed to do exactly what you described: continuously going through it's motions. In the "OFF" position, the robot must be activated by pushing down on the "$" hand, perferably with a coin on it. If it does not do this, you will need to get inside and troubleshoot the problem. (I suspect it's a mis-aligned cam that activates the leaf switch. This sometimes occurs when the toy is dropped or mishandled.) The arm caps can not be removed from the outside. They are held in place by a screw from the inside.

Robie needs to be taken apart from the top down. There's a slot at the back of his head into which a flat blade screwdriver must be inserted to press in and up in order to release a small tab on the black head disk. Be gentle. Don't push too much and break off the tab! From there, a philips head screwdriver is needed to remove the other screws holding the rest of the layers of parts in place. The feet covers will also need to come off so that the two body halves can be separated from the base.

• Brian.. changed the title to Robie Robotic Banker - How To Disassemble

Archived