Dirk's Collection

Dirk

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR VERY KIND WORDS!!! :blush: & :)

Just to clarify - The robots are all originals & most of the boxes are original as well. But some of them are handcrafted reproboxes from the originals and need to be exchanged hopefully some day... ;)

HOPE TO MEET THE MOST OF YOU SOON!!! :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful robots, beautiful robots, beautiful collection !

Thank you my long time "robot buddy" for sharing this with us.

Did you ever imagine to own a collection like this of your own at the beginning ?

I remember when we met first in Germany many years ago during the small local auction with some of my robots in the back of my car (trunk sale).

You have managed to build your own special collection with special focus on certain robots and style.

Congratulation, you can be very proud.

And dont forget to thank your wife as well for supporting you doing this while building a nice house for your family at the same time. Respect !

Now, where to go now, whats the new focus ? Some nice space toys and astronauts to mix it up the way I did from the beginning ?

Lets talk next time when we meet, I am also looking for new perspectives after more than 25 years of collecting.

WAOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I WANT THE SAME ROBOTS :D Thank you Dirk for your beautiful pics and your crazy robot collection WAOOOOOOOOOO!!!! again ;)

Alain

PHIL & ALAIN - thank you very much for your kind words & feedbacks too!!!

GERNOT - Yes I remember it very well - BODY-MASTER! :lol: I was after those tin toy robots for some years also, when we met at the Loesch Auction - I think 16 years ago - for the first time. I don't even have had a clue - that people would have such big & fine collections - as you had already at that time! You invited me to your house & I was just overwhelmed! At that time, I did not believe, that it would be possible to create such a little nice collection - some day - for myself too. ( YES - it is possible - and it would be possible, just when you will start out - today!) And I had to add a big THX GERNOT :wub: - You was my mentor & master indeed - as PIT KUHL was yours before... And now I hope to meet you in Adamstown - also as a friend - and hopefully you will not pick up the best pieces right in front of my nose - as you always did before.... :lol: :lol: ;)

What a collection !! The photo's are grand. I like the Wheel a Gear ! Looks like the serpentine belt on any modern car ! missile robot.....man that has some fire power. My favorite ,,,always . The Dux. Best robot [operation and beautiful plastic] ever built. :D I think even the "Collector" would like these fine examples. ;) Nice job.

Dirk - As a true lover of Horikawa robots, pretty much because they were the only style of robots I actually owned as a little kid growing up in the 1960's, I am blown-away by the last grouping of four photos showing what I think are some of the most beautiful robots ever made. And they were the best to play with! No matter how tough I played with my robots, they hardly ever broke and when they did, my father was always able to easily fix them. I have only two regrets when it comes to my childhood robots. The first is that I never saved the boxes (A child always wonders...why would you want the box?) and the second is that when I became a teenager and was trying to be super cool with my friends who came to my house (especially if it was a girl!) I didn't think I would look cool with toys in my bedroom. So one day they all went in the trash. Battered and beaten up, but they were my best friends for so many years. And I gave them up to look cool in front of my stupid friends! Youth is trully wasted on the young! :huh:

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures and bringing back so many wonderful memories of seeing all those robots together with their wonderful boxes! ;)

Dirk - As a true lover of Horikawa robots, pretty much because they were the only style of robots I actually owned as a little kid growing up in the 1960's, I am blown-away by the last grouping of four photos showing what I think are some of the most beautiful robots ever made. And they were the best to play with! No matter how tough I played with my robots, they hardly ever broke and when they did, my father was always able to easily fix them. I have only two regrets when it comes to my childhood robots. The first is that I never saved the boxes (A child always wonders...why would you want the box?) and the second is that when I became a teenager and was trying to be super cool with my friends who came to my house (especially if it was a girl!) I didn't think I would look cool with toys in my bedroom. So one day they all went in the trash. Battered and beaten up, but they were my best friends for so many years. And I gave them up to look cool in front of my stupid friends! Youth is trully wasted on the young! :huh:

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures and bringing back so many wonderful memories of seeing all those robots together with their wonderful boxes! ;)

Thanks for sharing such an honest and truthfull tale of how you came to lose your robots and it's not that different from mine. But mine is even worse because I managed to find them all stashed at my Mom's house when I was in my early twenties and took them to my "den of lust" (read as first cheaply furnished apartment for single guy in Brooklyn) and I thought my friends would think they were cool. And they did! So there they stayed, my small army of about 5 or 6 roughed up Horikawa robots. My favorites were your namesake, Rotate-O-Matic Super Astronaut and Attacking Martian!

Then the girlfriend who would end up as the "first, now ex, wife" came into the picture. I beleive she said something classy along the lines of....."Why do you have this stupid Sh*t in the apartment? These are toys, for God's sake. Jesus, dump this crap before I start moving my stuff in. I'm gonna need that shelf. Thanks, babe."

Me, I have real shame and I wear it proudly. So you should no longer ever feel bad after hearing my disgusting story about being whipped six ways to Sunday by the beloved ex Mrs. K. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

PHIL & ALAIN - thank you very much for your kind words & feedbacks too!!!

GERNOT - Yes I remember it very well - BODY-MASTER! :lol: I was after those tin toy robots for some years also, when we met at the Loesch Auction - I think 16 years ago - for the first time. I don't even have had a clue - that people would have such big & fine collections - as you had already at that time! You invited me to your house & I was just overwhelmed! At that time, I did not believe, that it would be possible to create such a little nice collection - some day - for myself too. ( YES - it is possible - and it would be possible, just when you will start out - today!) And I had to add a big THX GERNOT :wub: - You was my mentor & master indeed - as PIT KUHL was yours before... And now I hope to meet you in Adamstown - also as a friend - and hopefully you will not pick up the best pieces right in front of my nose - as you always did before.... :lol: :lol: ;)

Hi Dirk.... What a superb series of photographs, well lit, well composed and a pleasure to view. Looking at them I dont really see the need for you to bother with the Lesser auction :D you have a collection that I aspire to. It's difficult for me to focus as you have done as I collect many different (toy) themes, but I love the space toys first and foremost and yours are amongst the very best, well done!

When I post a reply you may have noticed that I try to post a picture of my own if it's relevant but in this case I don't think there is any point :(

have a good weekend, Noel.

I had a chance to see Dirk's awesome collection book and it didn't take long to realize that it was just the robots that were great, the quality of photograpy was outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

EAGLE -

Wheel a Gear
... Believe it or not: When I start collecting - The Wheel - A - Gear / Blink - A - Gear are most fascinating to me too! I had no rest - till they are both mint in box in my collection... :P

ROTATE - The Horikawa's are still a big point in the collection. Some of them are common - but that did not dis attract from their beauty ( For my opinion...) I guess the simple MACHINE ROBOT - is still one of my favourites. :)

TOYMAN, TINMAN & KILROY - thank you very much for your honest words... :blush:

Archived