Firebal Xl-5 And Space City Help Needed

Topper

Hi All

I've searched the previous postings but need a little more help. I picked up a 1963 FireBall XL-5 playset at a local flea market for 15.00 (very pleased I promise you!). I'm keen on restoring the set but have tons of questions that I can't find answers to on the web. Is there anyone on the list willing to chat with me via email?

Thanks,

Daniel

post-470-1205019550.jpg

post-470-1205019577.jpg

Topper,,,,,,that is one hell of a find !!!! Wow !!! What needs restored ? Other than decals. Is the cargo door missing?

Great find Topper $15!!!!!!!!! :o I'm not sure what it's worth ,but I know it's a hell of a lot more than that!,,,,,,,,,,,,I think the member who could be of the most help is The Toyman,,Noel he has a lot of British toys and I think this could be British [and rare]..email him through alphadrome and see what he thinks..

Sorry Steve,,,I just looked at your links,and they seem like they would be a great help...........

Hi All

I've searched the previous postings but need a little more help. I picked up a 1963 FireBall XL-5 playset at a local flea market for 15.00 (very pleased I promise you!). I'm keen on restoring the set but have tons of questions that I can't find answers to on the web. Is there anyone on the list willing to chat with me via email?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel, What a great find ( I'm upset) :( no, really it's a great toy and well done, thanks for the reference to me Sparkrobot. The above links are full of info. I would say the set,as is, would fetch approx £150-£200 in the UK as the box looks very good ... can you go back and see if he has any more??

Noel.

Don't know what kind of help you need, but ask away!

(really nice find there too, congrats! I think $15. bought me my boxed Astro Base about 20 years ago, but I'd much rather it been XL5!)

Looks like you got most of the better parts :)

Topper,,,,,,that is one hell of a find !!!! Wow !!! What needs restored ? Other than decals. Is the cargo door missing?

Thanks Eagle

The cargo doors and their rockets are missing but I'm inquiring about reproductions. The decals are in pretty good shape except for FireBall Junior. They need replacing. The windscreen should be replaced as well. The various characters are gone as well as the satellite that launches from the building. The box does list what's included but we're new to FireBall. Ours has been a Thunderbirds household til now. I picked this up at the monthly Alameda Fleamarket here in the San Francisco/Bay Area. Robots and space toys aren't that common and I was prepared to pay up to 50.00 when I saw the playset. I was somewhat taken aback when the seller said:

"Oh you can have it for $15.00. It's missing some pieces".

Daniel

Hi Daniel, What a great find ( I'm upset) :( no, really it's a great toy and well done, thanks for the reference to me Sparkrobot. The above links are full of info. I would say the set,as is, would fetch approx £150-£200 in the UK as the box looks very good ... can you go back and see if he has any more??

Noel.

Hi Noel

Great to make contact. I'd love to chat with you if you're willing. Sorry but the vendor seemed to deal primarily in vintage clothing. I have no idea where she came up with this. This flea market is now rivaling the Rose Bowl, one of the largest flea markets on the west coast. It takes 6 hours to to do a casual stroll through the whole thing.

Daniel

Topper,

I did not see the cardboard cutout of the Space City that comes with the set in your pictures. If you do need it, let me know. My brother, a big XL5 fan (note pics of his ships including a 3 foot one) can help. In fact I know he made me a color copy of the Space city sometime ago which is setting around here somewhere.

post-226-1205114292.jpg

post-226-1205114304.jpg

Hi Noel

Great to make contact. I'd love to chat with you if you're willing. Sorry but the vendor seemed to deal primarily in vintage clothing. I have no idea where she came up with this. This flea market is now rivaling the Rose Bowl, one of the largest flea markets on the west coast. It takes 6 hours to to do a casual stroll through the whole thing.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, taking 6 hrs to wander round a flea market in the early morning San Fransisco sunshine sounds like my idea of heaven! :rolleyes: My journeys on a Sunday morning usually involve a warm coat and waterproof shoes, and any dealers who may have the likes of Dinky toy act as if they have discovered the Ark Of The Covenant! feel free to chat and once again, what a nice find :rolleyes:

Noel.

• 1 month later...

Topper,

I did not see the cardboard cutout of the Space City that comes with the set in your pictures. If you do need it, let me know. My brother, a big XL5 fan (note pics of his ships including a 3 foot one) can help. In fact I know he made me a color copy of the Space city sometime ago which is setting around here somewhere.

Hi Laserman

I apologize for not getting back sooner. Between work, home renovation and having an 8 year old life keeps me going well into the night. I am looking for a reproduction of the space city. I've seen them available from various sites both assembled and unassembled. Prices vary. If your brother would be willing to make me a copy I'm glad to pay for it.

Thanks,

Daniel

Archived