St-1 Spark Replacement?

RemcoKMM

Hi-

Is there any safe way to replace the flint in my original ST-1? My little guy still sparks but only throws out a brief spark every so often.

Is there a way to do it without opening him up or is it best to just leave him as is? I hate to try to open up any of my tin robots. Only did it once to my Busy Go Cart and scratched his back.

Thanks!

post-676-1205001256.jpg

Look in the spark hole with a flash light to make sure the flint is worn down because many times the flint is fine but the flint wheel loads up and then becomes smooth and the flint can not spark well on a smooth flint wheel. The wheel can be cleaned with a pin or X acto blade or if the robot is apart a dremel with small wire wheel attachment. If you do need a new flint you might be able to get one from Volker if not then other sparking type toys make for good doners. Flints for lighters do not make for good replacements as they are a harder type flint, the toys use a soft type flint so that they spark well.

Look in the spark hole with a flash light to make sure the flint is worn down because many times the flint is fine but the flint wheel loads up and then becomes smooth and the flint can not spark well on a smooth flint wheel. The wheel can be cleaned with a pin or X acto blade or if the robot is apart a dremel with small wire wheel attachment. If you do need a new flint you might be able to get one from Volker if not then other sparking type toys make for good doners. Flints for lighters do not make for good replacements as they are a harder type flint, the toys use a soft type flint so that they spark well.

Thanks for the advice! I will check the flint wheel and see what's up...

Archived