My New Collection...what To Collect Now?

robothunter

I shared an email with Brian Stillmathe other night that really talks to all the frustration I'm feeling right now here on Alphadrome. I'm lacking focus and just don't know wat to as a "natural born hunter and collector of old things

"I really appreciated the tips, but I'm in some sort of a weird mind set right now where I'm not really sure exactly what I want to collect. I know I said space exploration toys. And I also know I said I was tired of never finding anything during the actual hunt for toys.

But here's the one thing I never thought about until today...I've not had a single issue of collector oppostion in years! I can't even remember the last time anyone even dared to challenge me on a Robby robot or toy! I was the Robby guy and when people saw my name on ebay, they backed off or, most of the time, just made me pay up a little to put me in my place. But really, no competion at all! Or when they got leads on super rare toys, like you and Steve did, you sent them my way!

I'm not sure how quick I am to get back in the ring as it were with all these friends with whom I have not had any collector stress whatsoever in so many years! I'll always be on the boards, and I've still got a room full of robots (honest to God, you can't even tell anything has left there's so much stuff! LOL!) and I just ordered $3,000.00 worth of repro's from Jay the other night so that I will have a collection that is as full a representation of the robots and space toys of the Golden Age as possible!

I really don't know what to do. I wish I could come up with something that would not put me directly against the other members of Alphadrome. I am really confused and lacking focus right now, Brian. And it's really making me crazy!

And I realize I fear change. I'm sticking with my 12 year old User ID and Animated Avitar even if I go after Happy Meals! 😉

Pat ..........man I can feel the frustration in you post ! Relax, take a deep breath and let nature take it's course. Your going about this the wrong way. Don't try to figure out WHAT to collect. Let it find you ! It's like having a good dog. Did you ever notice that you never FIND a good dog,,,,,,,,They FIND you !!! It's the same thing...........if you sit down and just arbitrarily pick what your going to collect,,,,well that would be artificial. Know what I mean? One of these days something is going to catch your eye ,,,something you weren't even looking for and before you know it your a collector of that item. There has to be passion above all else ! ;) Then there has to be a challenge ! Who knows maybe it will be SCI-FI sculptures like big 4 ft green Martians or Art Deco rockets .. :rolleyes: :P :D Just take it easy for a few more weeks, then You'll be in Adamstown with friends. With all that brainpower and good Karma something GOOD will come of it ! :)

I agree... let the collection come to you.

I've got three "main" collections -- robots, ray guns, and vintage first edition science fiction paperbacks. In each and every case, I feel like I didn't have a choice in the matter -- it was love at first sight and I just had to go after these toys and books.

Not too long ago, I got interested in some other types of toys. I shelled out a lot of money, I built up a half-way decent collection, and I was really into them. Or so I thought. After a short while, I began to feel like the collection just didn't ring true. I wondered why I cared. I just couldn't justify the hoops I was jumping through to own these toys. It wasn't long before I realized that even though I certainly liked the toys and thought they were cool looking, I was really just forcing myself to collect them. Because deep down, I didn't really care. There was never any satisfaction when I made a purchase.

So I sold it all and dumped the money back into robots.

I've learned two important lessons re: collecting. One, if you're not really into something, listen to the little voice in your head and don't bother buying whatever it is. And two, if you ARE into something, even if it's not part of your "main" collection, buy it. Because in the end, its about doing what makes you happy.

Good luck!

Oh yeah... I don't think you should worry about bidding against people you know. It's part of the hobby, it's unavoidable. I know I stay out of the way when I know certain friends are interested in something, and they do the same for me, but ultimately, you can't do that for EVERYONE or no one would bid on anything. Every once in a while people will butt heads on ebay or at an auction house or at the dealer's table -- it happens and there's not a heck of a lot anyone can do about it.

If you decided to go for ray guns tomorrow, I certainly wouldn't hold it against you. No one expects to have a perfectly clear playing field. I lose toys to friends all the time. I'm never bothered by it -- if nothing else, I'm happy that at least a buddy went home with the toy.

So, speaking for myself, I say don't sweat it! :)

I couldn't agree with dratomic more strongly. I have always collected--started with rocks and minerals when I was five or six or so.

Since about 1965 I have been a "serious" collector.

Two main areas--vintage New York Yankee material--artifacts and autographs--dating from 1903-1927, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig... Items from this collection have been pictured in a number of books and magazine articles.

And historical autographs. Physicists--Newton, Einstein, Fermi, Oppenheimer, Faraday..., because I'm a physicist.

Some Aviation and Space--the Wright Brothers, Goddard, the Mercury 7 astronauts, Yuri Gagarin, Apollo 11 crew... because I am a pilot.

A few Presidents, Lincoln, Kennedy, both Roosevelts. And those that have fascinated me, or given me pleasure--Houdini, W.C. Fields, Laurel and Hardy, C. L. Dodgson, Charles Dickens, Universal Pictures Horror actors--Lon Chaney, Karloff, Lugosi, Dwight Frye,... The Beatles, Bob Dylan...

I am compelled to collect these things--they chose me.

I also understand Pat's pain--in the Yankee and autograph areas I have just about everything I ever wanted, and so new acquisitions are very few and far between.. That's no way to collect!

Collecting robots for me is new. I had Sparkling Mike as a kid, and I find the very early robots fascinating. I will never have a very large collection, as 1960s 'bots and plastic don't interest me, but there are quite a few "classics" I'd like to obtain. Again, the robots I have--Lilliput, ARM, Robby Space Patrol, Door... and those I want chose me, rather than the other way around.

Hi Pat, just a thought; you could design your own stuff and commission it to be built or do what I did and have them made by a factory (really expensive). I know of a collector who now only collects custom-made stuff and that is the direction I seem to be going myself. The hard part is getting the guys who build them to part with them. For years I have wanted to have a few machined from aluminum & motorized...like an exact copy of Robert the Robot from T6 aluminum & polished to a mirror finish...it would weigh 20 lbs or more. You already have a head-start with all the John Riggs bots. This would make your collection one-of-a-kind.

Pat - when you first announced that you wanted to go after space exploration toys, I thought that was perfect for you because I know how much you like domes on toys. If "space exploration" isn't feeling right maybe you should consider concentrating on toys with domes? The field will always have lots to offer and the display will have a wonderful depth to it.

Also - It's nice of you to try, but no matter what you go for you'll have to bid against friends so don't give it another thought. I do envy you because you are in the position of having all that expertise to apply at the START of your next collection. I know you'll have a blast! :)

Competition is the name of the game - you know better than to fret over that. Ahh... what to collect - I agree - let the passion come to you. Really now that you are 'unshackled' your free to explore new territory. You can now explore more freely other style robot/spacetoys. The key is that it has to grab you -not collecting for the sake of collecting. Start goiing thru pics and books and pics of other collections - what does your eye keep coming back too. No need to rush it. Cann't wait to find rarities for you in your newly chosen obsession.

I don't think you should limit yourself to any one category right off. Just because you had a framework before doesn't mean you can't begin with total freedom. Maybe pick up pieces that got you excited that were excluded by your previous goals. Then muddle your way through and eventually a thread will start to develop. Kind of like Doc said, sometimes you have to collect things that won't stay with you in order to know what will. Original movie props, advertising, Apollo memorabilia, pulp art, there's so much out there, I say go with the flow.

I just wanted to say a great big 'THANKS" to all the wonderful advice I've received both here on the board and in private emails about what to do next! I really appreicate everyone wanting to help me advoid certain collecting mistakes, or maybe errors in judgement, that others have made once they sold off a particular collection and had a little spending money again.

The only thing I'm positive about is building a small general collection of tin reproductions that represents the "Golden Age" of Japanese toy making which Americans were such huge consumers of.

After thar...it's anybody's guess! :D But truthfullly, "Space Exploration" as defined by astronauts and astronaut driven tanks and saucers and ships keeps popping up as where I think I'm headed. No robots and absolutely no robot driven machinery. It's going to be about humans going out into space. Now when all the dust has finally settled, maybe that means Star Trek or Battlestar Galatica or Fireball XL-5 or Supercar!I just don't know yet! :huh:

.......No robots and absolutely no robot driven machinery. It's going to be about humans going out into space....

Pat, there is one problem left! Are these robots or more astronauts?

post-544-1205259351.jpg

But I think that´s no problem at all. Collect what you like and you will have a lot of fun! No more compulsions!

Pat, there is one problem left! Are these robots or more astronauts?

post-544-1205259351.jpg

But I think that´s no problem at all. Collect what you like and you will have a lot of fun! No more compulsions!

This is an easy one....Astronauts, of course! In huge armored suits to protect them against alien horrors on other worlds, but astronauts all the same! ;) And when I think about it, there are at least 30 or 40 Horikawa's that instantly come to mind as possible first purchases!!! Look our R-O-M! I'm gunning for you!!!!!!! B)

Just don't start collecting Remco Lost in Space Robots... JUST KIDDING! :)

I agree with everyone here. Get out there, look around and let what to collect come to you.

I have many collections- old radios, robots, antiques... at one point I even tried to get back every toy I had as a child. That was fun but I always go back to the Remcos because they are the one thing that just pushes that "gotta have it" button we collectors all have.

I can't wait to see what you decide on because the collection you create will undoubtedly be complete and fantastic!

This is an easy one....Astronauts, of course! In huge armored suits to protect them against alien horrors on other worlds, but astronauts all the same! ;) And when I think about it, there are at least 30 or 40 Horikawa's that instantly come to mind as possible first purchases!!! Look our R-O-M! I'm gunning for you!!!!!!! B)

Pat, welcome to the HORIKAWA CLUB there members do have free entrance and always a warm place to rest from robot hunting ;) :lol:

Archived