Marvelous Mike's New Job!

laserman

I had a couple loose marvelous Mike's hanging around with nothing to do, and I had this Masadaya bagage handler toy that needed some work. So, after my first Amtrack trip last summer back and forth from Boston to New York and back (visiting my son who lives in Boston), I got to to thinking about Redcaps and spaceports-strange huh?. Anyway, here is my result. His eyes light up and he steers just like he did on the tractor as this toy is also bump n go. The extra suitcases are painted and decaled Altoid tins.

Enjoy.

post-226-1204002534.jpg

post-226-1204002546.jpg

post-226-1204002555.jpg

post-226-1204002569.jpg

post-226-1204002578.jpg

L, very creative! I like it a lot! Could you tell us more about how you assembled the parts, especially the suitcase decaling and painting work. :)

Awsome. Are they LEDs in the eyes? I have always liked the look of robots on tractors and other vehicles. I really like the marvelous Mikes too.You have done a great job creating a brand new vintage robot toy.

Guest Scott Cragstan

Bob, your talent seems to know no limits, another home run here if you ask me! The addition of the light up eyes is so in context with Mike's original styling you'd swear they were always supposed to be like that. And the rest is just brilliant, fun, and so nicely executed. Again, Wow. :D

Thanks all! I just got back home from a trip and saw these great posts. The eyes are small LEDs. The wires are run through Mike's body, into through the seat, and into the toy where they are hooked up to the switch and ground. The suitcases are just painted Altoid tins with plastic straps added. The decals are simple waterslide printed on a inkjet printer with a clear fixative applied. The robot's chest graphic is also a decal. The process works pretty well so I'm trying it on a robot project I just started that has been in planning and waiting on me for over a year to get to it. Its a marriage of a Modern Toys (MT) missile tank (same rotating mechanism used on the large missile robot) and a large Paul Newman Pretzel tin.

Eagle, quite a few of the projects I have worked on are not robot related, so I don't post pics here. I am trying to slowly alter that. Later ;)

Archived