Sonicon Mechanism

designprof

Hi Guys and Gals

I'm a newbie here. I joined because Alphadrome has the best knowledge and resources for mechanical toy collectors, hands down! I am not specifically a Robot guy...I just love the mechanisms and electronics used in these wonderful old toys. My "specialty" is Radicon and Sonicon vehicles, specifically buses (at least that's what I have found and collected so far). If you have any questions about Radicon Robot electronics and repair, let me know.

My question is about the Sonicon Rocket. Does anyone have a photo of the insides? Specifically, I need to know the orientation and positioning of the sound-drum and attached touch-switch. The one in my Sonicon bus can be pivoted through about 120 degrees so I don't know the original positioning. I have rebuilt the drive system...had to replace the motor and the original wheels were ruined by previous 'users' pushing the vehicle around on the floor. Finding new wheels was impossible so I was able to restore the mechanism using Erector Set pulley's with O-rings snapped onto them. While this may sound stupid, it worked extremely well.

So now I need to see if the rest of the vehicle is intact and if the sound drum is oriented properly. So any Sonicon photos you guys may have - Rockets or Buses - will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Robobob for your comment. Yes, I've seen those photos and they're a great reference.

I have restored four Radicon buses so far and have a very good knowledge of the mechanism and electronics for Radicon. :)

The SONICON bus is baffling me, though. :blink:

The sound drum and trigger seem so random (as far as reversing the motor goes). So I am wondering if I am missing something or if that's the nature of the beast. Inside photos of a working unit, especially close-ups of the drum and switch arrangement, would really help me at this point.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Robobob for your comment. Yes, I've seen those photos and they're a great reference.

I have restored four Radicon buses so far and have a very good knowledge of the mechanism and electronics for Radicon. :)

Hi

I own a Radicon that I have restored to perfect working condition. Alas as I have no remote control, I had to test it by using the spark ignitor of my portable grill. No luck on Ebay (yet) by trying to buy an other Radicon operated toys from Masudaya, i.e. a cheap one in bad condition just for the remote. I do have the schematics for the remote but not the specs for the components so I wonder If you know them so that I could try to build a working replica of the remote. See http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...&hl=radicon

Regards, Felix

The Sonicon (sound remote system has not been covered here only the Radicon radio control type units. So I do not thtink there are any close up photos of the sound drum and pick up switch set up for you too view. Now maybe some one here on the board can post pictures of there sonicon guts "the sound drum and touch switch". I relize that you must have a sound source that produces the correct tone frequency in order for the sound drum to trigger the switch propperly, A sound source like a organ or synth should be a easy way to find the right tone to resonate in the drum unit for maximum switch activity. Or maybe a slide whistle from the toy store.

As for building a radicon transmiter good luck. Any spark generating device will operate the radicon robot and radicon buss. Radicon busses turn up on ebay from time to time for cheep and the remotes are the same. Remember just because the remote makes a buzzing sound when you push the button that does not mean its transmitting, you must see the blue spark in the little window to know its operating right. The buzzer circuit that you here is just the main oscillator, a second coil of many hundreds of turns of very fine gauge wire are also wraped around the buzzer core and its this secondary winding that generates the high voltage spark and its the high voltage spark that generats the RF HASH that the reciever circuit detects.

Archived