The English Wheel

Eagle

OK Bot builders. I just sold one of my collection pieces and want to put the proceeds to work. I have been wanting one of these tools for quite some time. I want to purchase an English Wheel for custom bots. Any recommendations ? Are the Harbor freight units stout enough for working 20 gauge steel without flexing the jaws? :blush: Any input would be much appreciated. It would be put to good use. There are just so many cool bots that need to be built. :closedeyes:

post-545-1196818116.jpg

sitting_bot.jpg

My local harbor freight does not keep the English wheel in stock so I can only look at it in the catolog or online. Looks to be build strong enough for bot building to me!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95359

Giant 27-3/4" throat capacity lets you fabricate compound curves on large pieces. Ideal for shaping, fabrication, smoothing dents or weld seams in fenders, hood and trunk panels.

Quick adjust lower anvil yoke for easy leveling

All steel construction

Will handle sheet steel to 16 gauge , copper and aluminum to 14 gauge

Throat capacity: 27-3/4"; Welded frame: 4" L x 2" W x 1/4" thick; Includes: Top anvil: 8" diameter x 2" W top anvil, Lower anvil: 3" diameter x 2" radius with dual sealed ball bearing mounts (additional anvils in picture sold separately); heavy duty welded steel stand with four 1/2" mounting holes and anvil die storage; Maximum height: 5 ft. 3/16" H;

Overall dimensions: 40-7/8" L x 34-1/2" W x 25-1/2" H

Shipping Weight 136 lbs.

ITEM 95359-0VGA

$399.99

on sale for $249.99

Product manual link

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/95000-95999/95359.pdf

post-7-1196828723.gif

Thanks John. I looked at one today. I was a little concerned that it's not cast . But like you say, we are handling light gauge metal. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. My fingers should be pinched down to the bone by Thursday ! :huh:

I would so dig having one of those! What are the wheels on the side for?

They are different size wheels for different radius's . :D

Thanks John. I looked at one today. I was a little concerned that it's not cast . But like you say, we are handling light gauge metal. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. My fingers should be pinched down to the bone by Thursday ! :huh:

DON"T DO IT.....you are about to travel down a slippery slope. Next you will need a power hammer, sizer, overhead crane, forklift, etc. Then a paint shop and powder coat sprayer, heat room plus storage area for several tons of steel :D And then comes the foundry, machine shop, welding shop.....

Come to think of it, that could be a lot of fun!!

DON"T DO IT.....you are about to travel down a slippery slope. Next you will need a power hammer, sizer, overhead crane, forklift, etc. Then a paint shop and powder coat sprayer, heat room plus storage area for several tons of steel :D And then comes the foundry, machine shop, welding shop.....

Come to think of it, that could be a lot of fun!!

Ken,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Your 100 % on target with that statement ! Traveled that road before? :blink:

Well I just went to harbor freight and they had it for $300. Not $250. So I tell the guy that the Web page says $250. He say I have to bring in a copy of the web page. 30 mile drive for nothing. BAS^&*$S !! :angry2:

Well I just went to harbor freight and they had it for $300. Not $250. So I tell the guy that the Web page says $250. He say I have to bring in a copy of the web page. 30 mile drive for nothing. BAS^&*$S !! :angry2:

What crap! I can't beleive he wouldn't honor the advertised price on the web. He will if you bring in the printed page, so he's admiting that he can go that low, so why piss off a customer and not just make the sale right then and there? What an ass.

Pat,,,,,,You got that right. I went home,copied the web page,took it back and they sold it to me . You know damn well they have a computer there at the store. So to get back at them I lifted a plasma gun and put it under my jacket. :P

Ok metal robot makers, here is the scoop on the Ewheel. It is made very well and quite heavy. Very easy to assemble. It HAS to be bolted to the floor. Very easy to use. I spent an hour on it this morning. Here is another tool that would be very difficult to teach someone to use,except one on one. It's just practice.Grab a piece of sheetmetal and start shaping it. It will come to you. Gramps is right though. It is a slippery slope. But this tool compliments a beater bag and bossing mallet ! Thanks John !!!! ;)

When you get a chance, I'd like to see some of your work done on it. I've always liked the idea of getting one of those ever since I was Jesse James use one on American Choppers.

You really do need a power hammer and sizer and a plasma cutter at a minimum to take advantage of an english wheel :rolleyes: And then.....

have fun with your new toy!

ever since I was Jesse James use one on American Choppers.

Andy,,,,,your dyslexia is hitting hard today. :D Medicate buddy.

I'll keep you guys up to date on how this works out. Wray Schelin is offering 3 day metal shaping classes at his shop for a grand. I'd rather spend the money on Airline tickets and spend the day with Mr Rigg ! :P For one thing, a Robohut day is 72 hrs. ;) Ok ,now I have to find that book on Ebay. What was it called? Oh yeah,,,,,,,,, [How to turn freezer lids into robots] ! :blush: Ken !!!!! did you ever get my email regarding a top and side view of Diamond planet ?

Archived