Need Info On Space Jet Ray Gun...fin? Doc?

Andyman

A friend from another board sent this surprise in the mail to me yesterday. The Space Jet ray gun doesn't work (I'll see to that eventually) but it does have some great litho on it. The barrel is cracked but intact and there are some minor abrasions on it. It says "KO, Japan" on it which I assume means it's a Yoshiya product. Looks like like I'm starting to collect ray guns whether I want to or not. ;)

Anybody have any more info on it?

post-231-1195919739.jpg

Andy,,sorry I dont have any specific info on that raygun,but as far as it not working,I had one similiar and it had a screw to replace the flint,someone had put a too big flint in and it had jammed,,just an idea before you go taking the whole thing apart ;)

Andy - Yes, the Space Jet is made by Yoshiya. There are several variations The two on the top in this pic, and there is also a sky blue version as well as a red and white version (still looking for those). The "Raketapisztoly" seen at the bottom of this pic was made in Hungary in either the late seventies or eighties and uses the same pressing. You'll also notice those barrels with the reciprocating "lipstick" thingies (I'll be nice) used on other toys like the Astro Mobil and the Mobil Jet.

post-143-1195926154.jpg

post-143-1195926375.jpg

So I'm guessing 1970s for this gun?

Sorry Andy - the date, of course. :blush:

The Space Jet was offered in the Yoshiya catalog at least as early as 1965.

1965 was a banner year for Yoshiya space toys, also offered in that year's Yoshiya catalog were-

Battery Op High Wheel Robot

Wind Up High Wheel Robot

Venus Robot

Silver Litho Sparky ("piston" version)

Rubber Handed Planet Robot

Mr. Chief robot

Chief Robotman

Mighty Robot (skirt style like CRM)

Atom Robot

Moon Explorer (I think the blue one)

Space Explorer Tank

X-7 Space Tank

X-15 Space Commander Saucer

Z-26 Saucer

Space Scooter

Space Patrol 7 saucer

New Flying Saucer (battery op)

Space Patrol 3 saucer (battery op)

Mars Rifle Gun

Atom Gun

Jet Arrow gun

Revolver Colt 45 (astronaut litho, cover of RAY GUN)

So I'd say the Space Jet is from Yoshiya's most prolific era. :D

I don't know how reliable "Vintage Toys" is but they put the earliest known Space Jet at 1962 with the original mold tooling going back to 1955.

Ok Ray Gun guys. For your viewing pleasure. Name the guns.

Ok, easy... MINE! MINE! MINE! :D

Oops... sorry, I thought you said claim the guns you wanted... :P

It looks like the kid in the yellow suit is holding a Hubley Atomic Disintegrator. It's a silver blur, so I'm not really sure what leads me to think this, but it just seems to have that general shape.

The kid in red and the kid in blue... no idea. They have bits and pieces that look familiar, and I'm tempted to say the weapons are hybrids, cobbled together by an enthusiastic prop department. But they could be real toys -- there are still many mysteries out there.

I agree about the Hubbly, in fact I think it's pretty recognizable. The black rifle looks like a real toy to me but I have no idea which one.

Andy - regarding "Vintage Toys", Horikawa Battle Robot - nuff said? :D

Yep. It looks like the kid in yellow is holding an Atomic Disintegrator gun to me too!

The kid in the red suit looks to be holding a "FLASHY-RAY" GUN rifle.

(One of the very first Space Rifles that I ever bought in my ray gun collection!)

A rather underrated toy. (Probably because it's lack of colorful lithography and non-imaginative design.) It's a hefty rifle with fun action. But it looks more like a standard machine gun, than a Space Gun.

But the box artwork is just fantastic!

post-199-1196320571.jpg

Ok Ray Gun guys. For your viewing pleasure. Name the guns.

Good catch toyboy! I can't name the last gun, but is this a still from that relatively unknown movie " Revenge of OZ, Munchkins Invade Mars" ?

Good catch toyboy! I can't name the last gun, but is this a still from that relatively unknown movie " Revenge of OZ, Munchkins Invade Mars" ?

Actually it's a Beach-Nut gum ad from 1958. The caption read, "Martians demand "IFIC""...whatever the hell that means. :unsure:

Andy, allow me ...

Back in the day, the big Beech-Nut ads used the tagline "Beech-Nut is FLAVOR-IFIC" !!

I believe there were also big green IFIC buttons given out to wear proudly...

God....Why do I know these things !!! :blink:

Archived