1953 - Captain Space Solar Scout Rifle by Marx (revised)

dratomic

See top right image.

The ad is too small for me to make out the actual description, but the gun is clearly the Captain Space Solar Scout rifle (unimaginatively listed here as "Space Ray Gun"). The seller says that the ad is from 1955, but I can't find any proof of this.

It's a Marx toy -- TOY MEMORIES, any further information?

post-124-1195452475.jpg

...the gun is clearly the Captain Space Solar Scout rifle (unimaginatively listed here as "Space Ray Gun"). The seller says that the ad is from 1955, but I can't find any proof of this.

It's a Marx toy -- TOY MEMORIES, any further information?

Hellooooo Doc!

Well, the technical drawings for the rifle are from 1954, and they seem to run somewhat close to production, so I'd say 1955 production for sure, possibly as early as 1954.

(I might even have some original time studies for the gun, but :( forgive me... where they would be is kind of inaccessible at this time due to too much crap... I mean stuff blocking those cabinets. If/when I can unearth them, I would be happy to verify assembly line dates present!)

Some of the text looks to me to be... "Large signal light ...... when trigger is pulled. Also emits a humming sound... Uses two flashlight batteries... six per carton..."

(Now I'm blind... :blink: )

No metal detectors then either Andy! If the batteries had died in the raygun, there was always the jack knife in my pocket - That would get you suspended today, maybe even hard time - :D

Thanks for the update, Toy Memories. So if your notes indicate 1954 for the drawings, then I guess 1955 makes perfect sense for the actual production. So I guess that means I need to amend my web site listing...

Great info, though!

No problemo, Doc!

'55 is pretty safe, and possibly Christmas of '54 or earlier... (hopefully I can dig up time studies eventually)

Now, if I only had more room here... or less stuff... nah, you can never have enough stuff! ;)

(by the way, check my collection section for 2 new gun pics dating from 1935)

post-526-1195625445.jpeg

• 7 years later...

Despite the lack of a picture this simple text ad is conclusive. December 3 1953 is the new date, in the Indiana Gazette.solar.jpgsolar.jpg

• 1 year later...

The Kingston Daily Freeman, April 11, 1957...not an early date, but who wouldn't want to win an Atomic Rifle!

1the_kingston_daily_freeman_thu__apr_11__1957_.jpg

Archived