Old German Toy Catalogue 2

Blechroboter

Here´s the next catalogue by Hertie. Hertie was a department store until the 1990s.

The catalogue is dated on the backside with a small 68.

The cover

post-544-1195403530.jpg

post-544-1195403600.jpg

10 Solar X7 Rocket by T.N. Nomura

11 Space Capsule S.H. Horikawa

12 UFO Space Patrol 2019 unknown by me. Can anyone help?

13 Rotate-O-Matic Super Astronaut S.H. Horikawa Tin/plastic version

...and some more Matt Mason toys

post-544-1195404035.jpg

Guest Scott Cragstan

Wow, Blech, these are fun, thanks for posting. And I'm quite impressed that the Horikawa items as well as the UFO in the second photo have actually been captured with lights in the on position instead of being artistically implied by little lines or by text that says something like "Blinking Lights" which was always the usual standard fare for catalogs. What a find!

Sadly it sounds all the little beloved hometown department stores have become extinct in Germany just as they have here in the US.

I'm quite impressed that the Horikawa items as well as the UFO in the second photo have actually been captured with lights in the on position

Didn´t noticed it. You´re right. How did they do that?

In the town where I lived in the sixties was a Hertie department store beneath Woolworth. Hertie was 4 or 5 times bigger than Woolworth.

I can remember that I saw Attacking Martians at Woolworth in 1966 or 67. All made in brown, two or three were made in silver.

I remember this because I saw a father searching a silver one for his son.

Guest Scott Cragstan

Hmmmmm, not exactly sure how they did that but I have a few theories. Actually it would probably be fairly simple for the two vehicles... something underneath would suspend them a tiny bit and keep them from taking off yet not show from that angle. I've taken pictures of Mr. Robot and Mr. Atomic using a small jar lid underneath them so you could see the lights yet the bump and go could spin freely without letting them run amok (careful with the balance though so as not to knock anyone over). The Horikawa Astronaut would have been the pesky one, I imagine they just had to let him stroll through the shot and fire away and keep at it until they had a good picture. When he first lit up as the firing sequence began would have been the ideal split second to catch him with light on. Very ambitious... and fun to think about.

And despite being a German department store I imagine the attempt caused the advertising department speaking a bit of French at times that day, LOL.

That's SO cool that you remember seeing the display of Martians (and that there were both brown and silver) at Woolworth's. Nothing like a firsthand account from one of our own!

Archived