New Space Guns!

dratomic

I don't actually have a photo of the older, 50s-era Pez. However, they pop up on ebay quite often. They're sort of snub-nosed looking with some spacey details molded into the bodies. (There should be a picture on toyraygun.com, under Fifties Guns.)

The most common color is red, and usually sells for between $200 and $300. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less -- ebay being what it is. Other colors include yellow, blue, black, silver, white (I think), green (I think). They're usually in the $350-$500 range, depending on who's bidding. There's also a beautiful light blue one. It's pretty rare -- I've seen it sell for about $1200, believe it or not. However, the two high muckety-mucks of the pez gun world are the GOLD one, which I saw sell for something like $7000, and the ultra-super-never-gonna-get-it rare CLEAR one, which sold for something like $14,000. Loose. No joke, you read that correctly.

Definitely the most expensive ray gun that I know of, loose or boxed.

As for the candy pyro... That's tricky, since so few come up for public sale. I've seen them sell for between $1400 and $1800. Yes, you scored a great deal. I, on the other hand, did not. ;)

The Copper pyro has sold from between $1000 and $1400. Sometimes a little less, and I'm sure some have gone for more. (In this case, I scored a great deal on mine, so I feel okay about my candy-colored.... :) )

The rifles go for roughly $1600-$2200, give or take a bit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Doc,

That makes me feel good about the candy pyro pistol, sad I missed the rifle. I did manage to get a Marx Tom Corbett Atomic Rifle in a fair box as a consolation prize on ebay. That was the second boxed one in less than a month. I like the looks of this rifle, maybe even more than the pyro. It looks more sleek. I can't wait to get it. Now I have started down the Ray gun collection path I will need to find some way to display them. They are not as easy to display as robots.

Her's a picture of the Pez guns. The clear one is the record breaker and the red is the more common as Doc said.

Congrats on the Tom Corbett rifle - another STEAL!! :)

post-143-1194717495.jpg

post-143-1194717520.jpg

That was YOU that got the boxed tom corbett? The gold one?

I'm jealous -- you STOLE it at that price. The gold is much rarer than the silver! I was assuming it'd hit at least $850 with the box! I know a dealer who sold a boxed gold one for $1200. I know a boxed silver that went for $800. Just to put things in perspective.

Okay. Now I know who's been winning all those ray guns on ebay! The way you're going, I'm just glad I already have most of the guns that I want. :)

Welcome to the gun club!

You have discovered my secret identity. You must take the ray gun collectors oath not to divulge the secret. I just drained my bank account so I will be looking for some less expensive ones now. I was thinking about a pez gun but there are a lot more cool looking guns I would rather have first. I also have to do a lot more research. Thanks again for the help. Look forward to seeing you and Fineas again at the next botstock.

So when can we expect to see some ray gun photos? I'd love to see everything you've picked up since embarking on your new quest.

Also, what are some of the toys you'd especially like to add to the collection? If you could walk into a magical toy store, what are some of the ray guns you'd like to pick up?

So when can we expect to see some ray gun photos? I'd love to see everything you've picked up since embarking on your new quest.

Also, what are some of the toys you'd especially like to add to the collection? If you could walk into a magical toy store, what are some of the ray guns you'd like to pick up?

Some of my new rayguns arrived yesterday so I took some pictures of those and the few guns I already had. I will post the pictures in the robot category since that seems to get more attention from other members. As for my raygun wish list I think the Planet Jet and Strato gun would be up there. Also I would like cleaner versions of the buck rogers disintegrator and liquid helium guns. (mine are in really poor shape). Another question..Do you think it would be worthwhile buying a pyro candy rifle with a "professionally replaced crank"?

The Planet Jet's a really tough one to pick up, especially with all of its fins and its front cap. Replacements exist for the cap, but once the fins are gone, they're gone. However, if the price is right, it's worth getting the gun even with missing fins because (1.) it still looks great, and (2.) it's so hard to find the gun without missing fins -- they break pretty easily.

There are three colors -- Yellow (most common), blue and red (both really rare). There's also a British version, called the Cracker Jet, which came in yellow and metallic green. Both are really tough finds. The green's MUCH nicer looking.

As for the Pyro with the replaced crank... I've got to say, no. Unless the price was super cheap. Let's face it -- you're not in a rush. There's no time limit to collecting. So I just can't see the point in snagging a broken one when a mint one will one day come along. It might take 10 years... but so what?

A mint one'll cost you about $2K. If the broken one is significantly less, well, that's one reason to get it. But me, I'd never be able to look past that replaced part, and it would always sort of bug me.

But I'm kind of the wrong person to ask, since I think the Pyro rifle looks like ass. I think the front's nice, but the back is a blocky mess, devoid of interesting detail. It feels half-finished and clunky to me. Sure, it's rare, and there are people out there who'll try to claim that if I want to have a world-class collection, I NEED to have that rifle. But I've never believed in the idea of owning a piece because it's "important." I own the pieces that I love -- consequently, I don't regret a single purchase I've ever made, and there's not a single toy in my collection that I'd be happy to part with. Makes me much happier that way.

But that's just my opinion -- there are a lot of people out there who think the Pyro rifle's amazing looking!

So... I'd have to say that the broken Pyro's only worth it if the price is so low that it'd be silly to pass up. Otherwise, if you really love the toy, wait for the right one to come along. For that kind of money, I think you should only buy the best! But in the end, you'll have to judge it for yourself.

Your collection's shaping up to be fantastic, so why settle?

Thanks, I was going to pass on the pyro but I thought I'd ask your opinion. Sorry about the hi res picture screw up.

Joe

No worries re: the photos -- we've all done it! It's easy to fix, though, without deleting the original posts, so I figured it'd be worth bringing up. But definitely keep posting updates to your wonderful collection. Seriously. I love having heart attacks every couple days! :)

Archived