New Space Guns!

dratomic

I finally landed one of my holy grail ray guns... after literally years of searching for one in nice condition and at a price I could afford. I also picked up a toy that's high on my want list -- not a holy grail, per se, but definitely a toy that I've always wanted, but has proven very difficult for e to find. Needless to say, I'm in a VERY good mood. I'm also completely broke, now! But better broke and happy than rich and miserable. :)

The first, the grail, is the Atom-Matic Water Rocket Gun. It was made by The Playcraft Co. in the late 1940s (according to Gene Metcalf's book, Ray Gun). I love this gun for many reasons. First, it's so sculptural -- I really like the simple lines and bold colors. And second, it's always struck me as a ray gun that's been distilled down to its very essence. It's a handle, a trigger, a super thin barrel -- because the barrel doesn't need to be thick when you're shooting rays of energy! -- and a couple rings to balance it all out. Just lovely!

The handle's made of metal -- not sure what kind -- and is pretty heavy. The trigger's brass, the tip is some other unidentified metal, and the barrel and rings are plastic. The stopper's rubber, but it's pretty hard at this point. The trigger works perfectly, but I'm not about to test whether or not the toy still squirts water! ;)

(Note: I didn't take these photos -- the dealer who sold me the toys did...)

post-124-1192827320.jpg

The next gun is the Space Pilot Missile Gun, made in Great Britain by Merit in the 1950s. It's surprising large, about the size of the Space Patrol Rocket Dart gun. In fact, it has the same "guts" and uses the same darts. Both knobs turn, and, while the pics don't show it, there's a compass on top of the toy.

post-124-1192827343.jpg

post-124-1192827367.jpg

Way to Go Doc!!!!!!!! I really love the Ray Guns,,As much as I want to get involved in collecting them myself ,with my addictive nature I just cant go there!! :( Still ,it's a nice substitute looking at your's and the other Ray gun collectors collections :)

Are you sure that Atom-matic thingy isn't just a hose nozzle? I'm not sure you could disintegrate anybody with that, but you might use it for giving flu shots. Maybe you could set up a stand on the streetcorner!

They're both beautiful, Doc!

It's interesting that the Space Pilot Missile gun has a "sculpted" handle. I didn't know they were doing that style of handle back then.

David -- THHHHPT! (That's me sticking out my tongue and giving you a Bronx cheer!) ;)

Andy -- You're right, it's not too common. However, check out the Hubley Atomic Disintegrator for a classic, sculpted handle. Also, the Space Outlaw gun from the early Sixties has a nice bit of sculpting to the handle (though it's not so dramatic on the sides, now that I think about it).

Nice additions, Brian! It's interesting that you added classic simplicity and aesthetic styling. Two great guns for any ray gun collector. Most people don't realize how many ray guns there are until they go to toyraygun. :blink:

Hey, no Bronx cheers! Did you get my email? I've got your fifty pound raygun item ready to deliver if you still want it. I can barely lift it with one arm!

Nice scores there Dr.A.!!! You're gonna get me going on yet another hobby I can't afford!!! Nothing like finding that special item(s) to fill the gap, best feeling in the world.

BTW Doc, we caught a glimpse of you leaving your digs last night....... :blink:

post-298-1192843758.jpg

Nice going, Doc! The Atomic Armory is looking pretty fierce there... ;)

I've been working on a deal for a while now, which includes a piece I know would sure tickle your fancy... but I ain't saying nothin' 'til it's sealed in stone, and hanging on my wall! :ninja:

(Is the thing David's talking about what I think it is? If so, be sure to post pics!)

Congratulations Doc!! I know how much the Atom-Matic means to you and for good reason. We already consider this to be a very important ray gun but as I was just admiring your beautiful example I started to wonder... Is it possible that this is the first ray gun to use the graduating ring design found on so many subsequent ray guns? The graduating ring (or disk) design is one of the most iconic space age, art deco design elements, I'd be really interested in pinpointing the first ray gun to use it. Any thoughts?

The Space Pilot Missile Gun is a beaut too. I'm really jealous - I mean happy for you.:D

David -- I got your email and responded... did you get my message?

Don -- VERY interesting question. As far as I know, it might very well be. There are rings on the Buck Rogers XZ-38 Disintegrator Pistol, as well as on the U-235 Atomic Pistol, but they're not graduated in either direction. Same goes for the Atom Bubble Shooter gun. The closest to graduated rings that I can think of would be on the Spin Ray gun's body, which sort of looks like it's got a descending ring pattern. It's not really the same, though.

GREAT observation!

HOLY ZAPPERS! - Congratulations Doc! Those are fantastic rayguns.

The Space Pilot Missle Gun is one of my all-time favorites! (One of my "Top 5" for me!)

It's been a while since I've visited this site...

Great to come back and see that you've picked up some great ones! - Thanks for sharing.

..."Better broke and happy than rich and miserable"... I love that!

Words I live by.

Everyday.

Unfortunately. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Doc,

I have been looking at a lot of space gun info recently since I got the pyrotomic disintegrator. You had mentioned an early pez gun that was rare. Do you have a picture? I've only seen the 1980's gun which has popped up all over the place recently. What would you estimate is the value of the pez gun? And while you are dispensing your expertise how about an estimate of the candy Pyro.

ER & S

Archived