The Collections

Phil R

I posted my plastic space collection in a new home in another vintage post. But, now I'm running out of space. The middle of the room? Expanding in the basement? No space left because of the boxes, Christmas, holiday stuff, comics, etc., etc. :blush:

post-221-1192656682.jpg

post-221-1192656699.jpgRedRobots_022A.jpg

post-221-1192656721.jpg

post-221-1192656732.jpg

post-221-1192656775.jpgRedRobots_003A.jpgredman_robots_space_toys_011A.jpgredman_robots_space_toys_009A.jpgredman_robots_space_toys_008A.jpgredman_robots_space_toys_003A.jpgRedRobots_005A.jpg

post-221-1192656807.jpg

post-221-1192657019.jpg

Phil,,,,,,,,I know it's hard ,,I've been just like you ,infact I have to fight against it ,but in my own case I just Had to say goodbye to some of my robots,,Ultimately I would love to have say a 'Hobbie' room ,but in this house I just havn't got the space ,,I'm considering converting my loft space and maybe making that my hobbie room ,then I could go back on a robot binge!!!,,maybe that's the answer for you...But You also might consider going the way I have at the moment,,it might hurt to read this next bit,but this is what I did a few years back,,,I reduced my collection by about a third ,then with the proceeds I concentrated on the more rare collectable robots ,eventually getting enough great robots that are worthy of pride of place in my living room,every time I can add a rarer or more desirable robot ,I sell one or more of the cheaper ones to add to my future 'Grale' robot fund..I'm still not completely cured ,if you came round my house you would also find the odd isolated robot in different rooms,but as a general rule I'm trying not to let the overspill get too out of hand.......BTW,,Because your collection looks great and would be the envy of a lot of robot/spacetoy collectors ,then maybe you will have to build an annex 'robothut style! :o ;)

I agree with Sparkrobot -- I think it's a perfect opportunity for you to prune. You've got a great collection, but if you're SERIOUSLY running out of space, maybe it's worthwhile taking some of the toys you love less and turning them into toys you love a lot!

Of course, if you love everything you have in equal measure, this plan obviously won't work.

I remember when I decided to get rid of some stuff that I didn't love... At first I was worried about reducing my collection, but then I realized that by turning 10 so-so robots into two really great robots, the status and stature of my collection actually increased. I'm much happier with it now, having trimmed away some of the fat.

Ultimately, it comes down to how you feel about all the pieces in your collection. If you can't bear to get rid of anything, then I suggest hanging more stuff from the ceiling. Hey, it worked for Robert Lesser! :)

Thanks for the advice. I have been selling stuff for several years, setting up at local flea markets including Renninger's and Black Angus. I sold about 30 boxes of action figures and 75% of my comic books and a lot of miscellaneous toys. I'm putting together more stuff to sell at a York toy show in November. I will have more room when I sell parts of the other collections next year. But you're all correct. It's a matter of being more selective and eventually paring down the space collection. Even then my tastes in space, robots etc. varies from time to time like everyone else. But I keep buying stuff, especially great buys!!!!!! :blush:

Great stuff Phil and lots to look at. That's kind of why I've been streamlining and parting with my Star Wars collectables as well as other stuff. I'm trying to focus! If you need to part with some robots, just remember your biggest and bestest buddy, Bill!

Very nice, Phil, are those IKEA white glass-door cabinets? They look great. All the stuff looks fantastic, lots of colour and variety. You're obviously heeding Mr. Jan's advice on a daily basis. Stunning all around.

Don't know what to tell you about the space problem but the collection(s) are looking great. Maybe Xris could give you some advice?!? ;)

Your collection looks just awesome and I would agree with everything the good Doctor Atomic has said with regard to pruning. As far as I'm concerned, more robots and space toys than you have room for is a good problem to have! LOL! But it does make for a great deal of frustration and was the main reason for me turning over my collection several times over the last 13 years. Prune back and cut down while creating a focus on something new. Only way I know to keep it alive and interesting. Good luck! ;)

Archived