Space Paper At The Park

Phil R

I had a great day at the Park flea market Sunday. My best purchases were non space. However, I managed to get a few items including the 1939 World's Fair map which opens to 44", a Santa spaceman Christmas card from 1953, a Red Ball Jets great space booklet and a Runaway Robot first printing book from 1966. Not a bad day! Paid about 7$ for the 4 paper items. :D

post-221-1192547421.jpg

post-221-1192547440.jpg

post-221-1192547454.jpg

Love the map! One of the coolest World's Fair pieces I've seen in a while.

I recently picked up a copy of Runaway Robot, too -- snagged mine at Comic Con, of all places. I always liked digest sized paperbacks. I'm particularly fond of the Galaxy Science Fiction Novels (a spin off of the magazine), though they're tougher to find in good condition on account of their crappy paper. The best digest sized paperback, though -- and probably one of the best paperbacks, in terms of cover, association, and general sci-fi-ness -- is 20 Million Miles to Earth, by Henry Slesar. It's a movie tie-in, and features the Ymir on the cover. I was lucky enough to get my copy signed last year by Ray Harryhausen -- one of the few times I've been tongue tied in front of a celebrity!

... Sorry to ramble on like that...

Nice pick ups as usual, Phil!

If my scanner were working properly, I'd post a pic of the cover... But it's actually quite similar to the photo you posted, Phil, except it's painted and in color.

Archived